4500 Kohler - wiring issue - won't start

Started by Trailmobile, October 07, 2017, 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailmobile

Thanks for having me on the Classic site :) ....Hope I am posting this in the right place. I acquired a 1987 Georgie Boy Cruise Master LM, have downloaded all manuals I could find but the gen did not have a coil and purchased one, not cheap, and having spark issue. Only has 750 hours accorging to the remote panel above the door. Understanding the wire from the condenser and one wire somewhere from the back side of the carburetor go to the negative pole on the coil. I have a wireloom with three white wires...one is a joined pair and a single. Nowhere do I see where these are suppose to be...positive or negative....and can not get the unit to fire up? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks

plockit007

Hi Welcome to the club..have you tried the library or looking for a military generator manual..what model is your genny. Rick1985 is probably the best person to ask your question to..also check youtube.

Here is what I found that may help.

http://www.kohlerpower.com/marine/technicaldocuments.htm?sectionNumber=13461&nodeNumber=3&contentNumber=301 i??

Rickf1985

I could help with the military stuff but that is mostly Onan and Continental and Hercules Military standard engines on the smaller ones and Continental and White multifuels on the bigger ones.  Very few if any Kohlers.

Dave is the man to talk to for RV and Marine stuff

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you become a site member, we have 4.5CM21, 4.5CM61, and 4.5CKM21 manuals in the Members area.
[move][/move]

Trailmobile

Thanks for the input...The Kohler,  from what I see printed on the name plate(s) on the gen is: 4.5ckm21-rv/KT-17 powered.....I have blown up anything and everything I could find Googling, Bing, Firefox images along with the service manuals but without cracking open the control panel and digging and tracing in the wireloom, I was just curious off hand if someone had one of these that had a little insight. I have a '96 Dutchman 32 ft. travel trailer, I am old school...and just old...lol, and once I get the hang of the group, I hope to learn things and contribute. So easy to buy 20th Century stuff and have somebody else work on it but where is the fun in that✌

RickNC

The engine itself is a kohler KT17, I have had several of the KT engines over the years on small tractors, pumps, job site generators  etc..  If the onsite manuals Dave refers to don't help you, Kohler.com also has a pdf manual online devoted to the engine only.

Points are under a metal cover held with two screws  by the intake manifold, that is where the wire from the negative side of the coil connects to. The points are actuated by a rod following the cam shaft. Carefull when removing the cover that you don't destroy the cork gasket. Timing is set by a sight hole in the blower housing. The coil fires both cylinders on both the intake and exhaust stroke so no worries about crossed plug wires. The low oil pressure shutoff should be above the oil filter.

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2043_a.pdf

DaveVA78Chieftain

Based on the wiring diagrams:
Coil neg side:
1 wire to points
1 wire to condensor
1 wire to pin 3 of control board P2 connector

Coil positive side:
1 wire to Fuel pump
1 wire to choke and carb fuel shut off valve
1 wire to pin 6 of control board P2 connector
[move][/move]