Changing from 17 x 7.5 tires in Europe!

Started by roma, August 27, 2017, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roma

When I bought my Winnebago there where 6 10 years old tyres under it wich i wanted to renew.
So I phoned my tyre supplier not knowing then that the 7.50 x17 tyres are not for sale in Europe.
I ordered 6 new Tornel bias ply tyres in the States and had them shipped to me.
That was 2 years ago and 8000 mile.
Since then : 2 times flat tyre
                      First 5 miles wobbling your theeth out.
                       And now one of the new tyres has a worn out tread.
Pfff
Made the decision to get normal size tyre   under my Winny
Bought 6 rimms   6j 17.5 inch and brought them to a company who made a new hart in it wich will fit my 5 lug 8 inch bolt circle  9.50R17.5 will be the new tyre size. Easy available in Europe and radial instead of bias ply.

I  am looking forward to the smooth ride with no wobbling anymore

roma

The new rimms are made
6j x 17.5  . No split rimms anymore and easy available 9.50R 17.5 truck tyres.
I am a happy guy now
There are 6 rimms offcourse but didnt fit on the photo

legomybago

I am running the same Tornel 7.50-17 on my rig, I've had some tube failures, but the tires seem fine. Mine runs as smooth as silk going down the highway, yes bias ply tires need to get warmed up. I wish Michelin still made a radial in this size, or at least don't charge 500 bucks a tire if you find them N:(
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

khantroll

Roma, I'm curious about a couple of things:

When you say you "bought 6j x 17.5 rims", and "took them to a company that would make a new a hart to fit my 5 x 8 bolt pattern", did you purchase what we in the us call "blanks" (rims without holes in them)?

If so, where did you purchase them from?

How much did it cost to have them machined?

Warren

These guys are a wealth of knowledge.   I am using them for help on wheels for a travel trailer project.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/index.html

They are in Stockton, Ca.   

roma

The rimms I bought where 6 holes wich came from a mercedes with a totally different bolt circle
The compagny I brought them to put in a totally new hart with the right messurements.
So it where no blanks but existing rimms . They took out the hole inside so only the round rimm without anything in it stays behind.
In that they make the new insite.
I hope I explaned the process now. If you dont have rimms they make them totally for you in any size and offset en boltcircle you want.
Price is then 250 euro

It costed 150 euro each including powdercoated in the colour I wanted.

Here the website from the compagny where they did the job
http://www.velgenopmaat.nl/gabo-rims.html