Antenna coax wiring.

Started by CapnDirk, October 22, 2017, 10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

Decided to watch the game in the motorhome today (was going to get some housecleaning done)  I already had the flat screen mounted, and there were two coax cables in the cabinet where the tube tv use to be one with green tape, and one with red.  Neither would get a signal to the TV.  An hour later having researched which way to point the antenna for my area still nothing. 

Then I find out you're suppose to turn the power on to the antenna.  Huh? Doh!  But no power/red LED.  This is on a secondary cigaret lighter and coax at the rear view mirror.  Found a blown fuse and replaced now I have power there.  Turned it on and nothing (again swinging the antenna around to get a signal) I had pulled the switch/coax/cigarette lighter unit down already to troubleshoot and was curious to find another coax with blue tape plugged into "antenna"  but the "set 2" had nothing hooked up to it.  I ran a short coax to the set and I got TV.  Gotta wonder why there was no cable running into the cabinet for the TV.

Now for my questions.  I have the bedroom tv jack opened up and out of the wall (had to pull wires for roof replacement)  Green one from up front goes to a splitter on the IN side and two outs, one for the bedroom faceplate coax and one disappearing into the wall.  Also a but connector for another red line that goes up to the front (remember one green and one red up front.

So my theory is that the splitter heads down to the outside box for TV out and the red line is cable hookup at that same box. SOOOoooo.  There should be a line from the antenna box up front that would go to a splitter feeding the TV up front and the green line back to the bedroom tv and splitting to the outside TV hookup.  The red line comes from the cable hookup to the cabinet up front to be switched out with the green when desiring to send the cable signal to all outlets instead of of air antenna.

I know I've muddied this up, hopefully some will understand.  I have two sources (once I run another cable from the antenna box with the amplifier switch) Antenna and cable.  These would need to be switched supplying two outputs (the forward TV and the green line going to the two rear outlets.

Am I missing a gizmo?
Thanks
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

CapnDirk

Possible ahhaa moment.  I have a standard RV 110 outlet next to the winegard lighter socket/power supply switch with coax hookup on the BOTTOM of the cabinet above the rear view mirror.  Could a previous owner have done this? 

I don't see how the original TV could have gotten a signal in that cabinet if the wall plate is outside of it pointing down.

Thanks
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

boohoo222

mine has (1green-1red) wires and goes from tv to vcr,,,, D:oH! wait you younguns may not know what a vcr is :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

Rickf1985

The power plug is an acc. plug for whatever you need it for on the outside. It is not needed to run the antenna.

CapnDirk

But the antenna is there to above the rear view mirror.  Nothing in the housing where the TV was.  Both under the cabinet pointing down to the rear view mirror.