'89 Chieftain propane tank removal and repaint.

Started by Easternmost Winnebago, August 01, 2017, 08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easternmost Winnebago

I Was looking at my propane tank while i'm spending most of my summer sprucing up the underside of the Motorhome and saw the back side of the tank is covered with light rust. So i'm thinking of taking it out while the front end is jacked up and taking it to be pressure tested and certified. My question is this: is there anything i can add or change to modernize the tank before i sand, prime, and paint it?   Are there newer propane level gauges for the dash, newer leak detectors, newer regulators...etc.  I'm basically starting at the tank and modernizing everything including lines, and critical parts for the units/appliances.  Thanks guys.
Let us Cross over the Rivah....and rest under the Shade of the Trees.  Thomas Stonewall Jackson

Rickf1985

I would replace the valve if nothing else since it is old and probably due for replacement. As far as gauges it all depends on what you plan on doing for the rest of the tanks. You don't want to have a mixed bag of detectors. No matter what I have found the most accurate propane gauge is one mounted right on the tank. Plain old float and gauge. And these tanks do not need to be recertified like the bottles do.

beaverman

If they all work... leave them alone, swapping to the newer type detectors and stuff can be a real PITA !

Easternmost Winnebago

It's just one big tank. Maybe 80 lb.?  I don't have a remote (dash board) level indicator and want one to keep up with it better. So i'm guessing while it's Degassed i can change it from a gauge type to a Visual gauge on the tank to one with a sending unit and wire to a dash gauge type that shows the level. I also want a New style leak detector and a Propane distribution system on the tank and a new regulator.
Let us Cross over the Rivah....and rest under the Shade of the Trees.  Thomas Stonewall Jackson

Rickf1985

Are you talking about the leak detector that shuts off the propane? They are far from new, I have one in my '90 Pace Arrow. They can be good but they can also be a pain in the butt when they false trip and you have to go through a nightmare sequence to reset it and the valve on the line. The regulator and manifold can be changed anytime since it is all after the valve. The valve and gauge are the key parts that need to be done while empty. I have found that the valve on mine is next to impossible to find so check it out ahead of time and you might have to go to a welding supply place or a major gas company to get a replacement. My local propane distributor wanted nothing to do with it.

circleD

The fumes and gases are the most dangerous part. But if there's no pressure (empty), then you can change out parts in a well ventilated area. Propane doesn't smell. There's an additive put in it so you can smell it.