Lubricate Leaf Springs?

Started by Schwarzkopf9, August 26, 2017, 05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question but, does anyone oil/lubricate their leaf springs as a part of regular maintenance? I've never done it personally but, just curious if it has any real world benefits.

Rickf1985

Old bus springs actually had lube fittings right on the spring leaves, Must be something to it. Now they make silicone sliders to go between the leaves so it certainly cant hurt.

beaverman

I've never done it on any of my rigs, as long as the heavy plastic shims are in between them your fine, if their worn out you may get SOME squeak  from them but sitting as far forward as you are you'll never hear it, that being said I'm sure someone has done this somewhere!

Schwarzkopf9

Sounds like Ill give it a try! if nothing else it may keep the rust from getting worse! To that thought, maybe I should just put oil in a garden sprayer and hit the whole undercarriage.... :)

Rickf1985

You laugh, that is common practice in a lot of the rust belt areas where any vehicle known will rust out in a year due to salt on the roads. They spray the inside of the frame and anything they see made of metal. 'coarse they leave an oil slick everywhere they go but........................... I say common practice, it is done on back garages, certainly not in big shops.

skloon

I know some old British cars did this but they also had leather gaiters around the springs to keep dirt off them- I suspect without this you would make some real low tech valve grinding compound

WrigleysBraveWin

Aluminum Paint helps stop rust and will also help protect - Oil will attract dirt and allow moisture to hang around longer!
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Rickf1985

You could use Slip Plate paint. It is a graphite paint that lubricates dry.

Warren

Need a dry film lubricant.   One that does not attract, dirt, dust, sand, etc.   
https://www.drislide.com/products/drislide-multi-purpose-moly-lubricant

We used this stuff back in the day on our weapons. (M16 and M60)   They would not jamb, water repelled. 
And sand and dirt would not stick.  Great product,  the molydisulfide is a self lubricating product,
along with the graphite.   Spray between the leafs and allow to penetrate. 

WrigleysBraveWin

Looks like with the rust inhibitors, dry lubricants and it does not attract dirt and then add it that's it aerosol makes it the right call .... some wire brush and compressor dusting before will help obtain maximum benefits!
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!