Replacing 454 mechanical fuel pump

Started by tarifachris, June 01, 2017, 01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarifachris

My fuel pump was leaking (1mm constant stream)... Not funny!

I needed over one hour to loosen the stupid nut from one fuel line - there is no space for your hand or fingers! When you removed the
metal side fire wall, the fuel pump itself was easy to remove. But be careful! 
When I removed the fuel pump the actuator rod came so far down that the rod was stucked. I had to remove the screw below the fuel pump on the engine block to push back the rod ( Of course when I removed the screw the crank case greeted me with some oil over my hands...). Then I had to bent an metal saw blade to put between the new pump and the rod thru the installation, so the rod is in the correct position to actuate the pump.

Finally there was a shiny new part in the engine bay and the engine started right at the first crank...

Rickf1985

An old timers trick for the fuel pump rod, coat it with grease and push it up right before installing the new pump. The grease will keep it up there long enough to get the new pump on. And a magnet would have made the job of initially getting the rod off the bottom easier without removing any other parts.

circleD

We have the same RV except mine is a 1984. I rerouted and cleand up my hoses and wiring so I'd have better access. Use thick grease to hold the rod up and take your time. And use a good flashlight.

beaverman

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 01, 2017, 08:56 AM
An old timers trick for the fuel pump rod, coat it with grease and push it up right before installing the new pump. The grease will keep it up there long enough to get the new pump on. And a magnet would have made the job of initially getting the rod off the bottom easier without removing any other parts.
:)ThmbUp been there done that!

Haven

Cross posted from facebook.

But how far up is enough to clear that pushrod for the pump, I stuck an extension up there to push the rod up but hit a stop two inches in and couldn't get it to budge further.

Rickf1985

That rod will come in and out as it rides the cam, Have someone tap the starter while you are pushing it in and when it just starts to come back out then stop. That is the best spot. You can put the pump on in any rod position but with the position of the pump jammed up in the frame it is much easier to have the rod in as far as it will go. And no sense in pushing hard, you are not going to move that rod any further by pushing harder. :D