Do Winnies use use vacuum brake boosters?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elksnoutmtman

Sent: 5/27/2005 10:45 AM

Does anyone know if it was common to use a vacum breaking assist on the breaks of the old Winnies? 
        Under the dash, there was a sound of something running all the time that I had the motor on. I think it was a vacum pump for a set of air horns that had been added, but now that I've removed the vacum line the breaks feel different. Stiff! And the break light on the dash comes on when I push hard on the break pedel.
         I just had the breaks redone: wheel cylinders, break lines, drums turned, and new shoes. I didn't replace the master cylinder.
( I may be overlooking something because of the new break job. Assuming all is well!)

Now I'm frustrated.LOL

Any help would be greatly appricated....
Regards..... Don

Sent: 5/30/2005 4:08 PM

The 71 winnebago brakes definitely had dual power boosters, located inside the frame, about halfway to the back. They got their vacuum from the intake manifold, and only depended on the engine running. Any other vacuum mechanism should not have been connected to the brake system in anyway, not to say that it wasnt though. The red light coming on when you step on the brakes usually indicates there is air left in the brake system somewhere, though I suppose it could also be due to one side of the dual brake system having its shoes not adjusted like they should be, or even a sticking parking brake cable, if your has the parking brakes working on the rear brakes, not working on the output of the transmission.
I think it would be unrelated to whether the boosters were getting vacuum or not.

Sent: 5/31/2005 10:04 PM

The booster I found was attached to the rear of the break master cylinder. Under the drivers seat. (Impossible to check the fluid without being a contorchenist:} SP...

This is the one that seems to be leaking fluid out the rear of it. I suspect it's a leaking master cylinder. I was hoping to replace both pieces at the same time. 
I will have to look further for the ones you are refering too.
Any ideas about parts?
Thanks very much for your response.
Regards.... Elk

AKBraveD19

I have a 75 Brave D19 with a bad booster. disc brakes in the front drum in the rear. I was of mind that my Bago sat on a m300 chassis. and from what i have read is it should have a dual booster system. but i can only find one on my rig. i am wondering if my Brave was converted to a single booster? or did they go to single booster in 75.

CapnDirk

They did both.  SuperDave will be along to help.  If I remember the pic he posted to help me and another, the TWO boosters were in the same area so if you are seeing one, you probably have one.

Maybe do a search on booster, his post was in the last few months.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

Or if you are in a hurry go to his siye and look at the Dodge section and brakes.

http://dave78chieftain.com/

DaveVA78Chieftain

First, because the chassis had to be ordered early, Winnebago usually placed this years house (e.g 1975) on last years chassis (e.g 1974).  So,

I suspect you have a 1974 RM300 chassis which used a single Master-Vac vacuum booster attached to the master cylinder.

Here is my webpage for that configuration: http://dave78chieftain.com/M300_73-RM300.html

If it actually is a 75 M300 chassis (decode dodge VIN number), then this is the webpage: http://dave78chieftain.com/M300_74.html which is also a single Master-Vac configuration.

Dual Hydro-Vac booster setups were only used on 72-73 M375 and 73 - 75 M400 (RM350)/M500 (RM400) chassis'.

[move][/move]