Installed Generator Height

Started by lexadmn, May 07, 2017, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexadmn

I have been doing some generator clean-up work and maintenance over the winter and very close to re-installing. However, I did make a change with the installed height of the Emerald.
I added rubber mounts to the bottom of the gen where it was metal-to-metal before in hopes of reducing vibration a little.
My question, I did not measure BEFORE removing the gen to know how much room above the generator was available.
Will these motorhomes allow an additional inch in height in the generator compartment, or should I remove the rubber mounts and bolt it back as it was with no rubber?
Each mount is a little less than 1/2 inch in height (uncompressed).

Thanks
KC

stanDman111

i think it  is a great idea

Rickf1985

There are no rubber mounts under the generator? I have never seen an Onan without soft rubber mounts. Usually you can push on the generator and it moves around like it is on a bowl of jello. Running a bolt down through a piece of rubber from top to bottom will just transmit the noise through the bolt. True mounts have studs mounted into the rubber so there is no solid connection from top to bottom.

lexadmn

That is kind of what I was thinking also so I added a mount underneath as well. Although, I did not know rubber mounts should have been there. The bolts were run down "tight" on the two square bars and was no room for rubber.
I guess maybe they had deteriorated and the PO used shorter bolts - maybe. The mounts are cheap ($0.79 each) and easy enough to install.

If rubber should have been there then it sounds like there is room with the new rubber.

Rickf1985

That may help a little but the original mounts, which are available, are much softer and prevent any noise transmission.