Accelerator pedal sticks

Started by mattyj858, November 18, 2017, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Hi everyone,

I noticed today that when I let my foot off my accelerator peddle the peddle seems to stick in position and not back down, maintains a high rpm. While parked, if I apply gas at the peddle and let go, it slightly backs down but stays at a higher rpm. If I pull the peddle back by hand, there is no resistance ( lowering rpm). Looking at the linkage, I have two springs, one directly to the linkage and another, see pics. Could this issue be weak springs? If so the linkage end seems to be a closed loop, do you have to unassemble the linkage to replace? The other end is just a J hook.
Sorry for the vague explanation, I am bad with linkage and carbs....

Carb is a 650 Edlebrock on a 73 440 Brave 20

Elandan2

Have you checked the accelerator cable? The resistance may be caused by a slight kink or crushed spot somewhere. Putting stronger springs may resolve that problem but would make it harder to hold the accelerator down while driving.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

mattyj858

Thanks, sorry I might not have been clear, but it feels like there is no resistance on the peddle when I manually pull the peddle back by hand, seems unobstructed.
I added reproduction of the metal big foot peddle that has some weight, could the new peddle weight affect the spring? Seems a long shot.

If I were to change one or both springs, the main going from the accelerator cable seems to have a closed end kind of like a key ring, do I need to disassemble the linkage to change out the spring?

LJ-TJ

Ok so if it were me. Which it was. I purchased this product which has turned out to be one of the best discoveries if not the best Discovery I've made for working on these old girls.
https://www.bgprod.com/contact-us/distributors/ You want the BG In-force Ion-activated Penetrating oil. It WORKS.
I'd spray all my linkages first, work them back and forth for a bit and see what happens. It that didn't work I'd go to N.A.P.A or Auto Zone and pick up a spring kit and just add another spring to see what happens. You may just have a tired spring. Hm?

mattyj858

Cool thank you. I'll spray the linkage. For the time being (today) I might spray, would a PB Blaster work or should I use some kind of silicon lubricant? I'll grab th BG this week. Thank you

LJ-TJ

Let me put it this way. At 69 I've heard all about and used WD40,PB Blaster, heard it all. What I know is I fell across this stuff by accident when I was pulling an engine out of a 1975 Winnebago in Pennsylvania. We were reefing like crazy on all the nuts all day. Finally called it a night and sprayed all the nuts with this stuff. The next morning when I went to crank on the nuts they near fell off. You could take them off with your fingers. Sounds crazy but this stuff is amazing. I now buy the stuff by the case. Anyone I've given it to to try out never goes back to what ever they were using before they tried BG. No I have no affiliation with the product I just love. Oh and I use it on my farm equipment all the time if that tells you anything. Hm?   

mattyj858

LJ-TJ

This is what it looks like. I don't mean for you to buy from these guys. This is what the can looks like. :)ThmbUp

https://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=612

mattyj858

Thank you, I'll look for it!

I'm going to replace the springs as well on the cable, and I might remove the aluminum big foot peddle as it might be too heavy to spring back?