Will "Newer" onan 5500 fit in a 73 Brave generator bay?

Started by Thenoob, March 29, 2017, 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

That explains it. Throws my theory out the window but it did not make sense anyway.

Thenoob

Well we have a runner and producing power @62hz.

Shop is doing a quick service with plugs oil air filter etc.  They want to do a generator service which could get up to 700 bucks, I'm not too keen on it...thoughts?

Hour meter at 2000hrs. Found the oil leak and that's dealt with.
It IS carbonated and not EFI, should make for a much easier install as existing lines are already in the bay.

Well that's good news!

Rickf1985

My thoughts are this, you have 100.00 into it. If they will do the full service for 700.00 that puts you 800.00 into a 2500.00 minimum generator. And with 2000 hours on the clock that generator has seen a LOT of use, it would not hurt to have them go over it and replace and wear items. As long as that does not add to the 700 they quoted. If that is just the labor then you will have to think real hard because parts are expensive.

Thenoob

True..I'm going back and forth on it.
They are going to have a quick look at the generator endand see exactly what they would recommend....I'll have to wait to hear from them.  I won't be putting a lot of hours on the generator in the long run, but it's more of a peace of mind thing

Rickf1985

I don't know if this one has brushes or if it is a brushless design but if it does they will be due for replacement.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Service Manual though you still need to decode the model number from the ID plate to know exactly which version you have.

An for those who like to know:
Field current passes through the brush block which has two spring-loaded carbon brushes that make contact with the rotor slip rings.
[move][/move]

Thenoob

bluebird

Quote from: Thenoob on April 06, 2017, 09:56 PM
Yup mine is the HGJAE
No way would I pay that for service.

But I'm a cheap . That is one of onans best generators. 2000 hours is quite a few but it should run a while longer. If it were mine I'd do a compression test, change oil,filter, and plugs, put new brushes in and clean the slip rings before installing.

CapnDirk

If it's out of the motorhome then doing a tune up on it would be a cakewalk.  Change the oil, filter, airfilter, plugs and points.  All readily available and the points would cost you the most.  Do a compression test with the plugs out.

If it quits for any reason beyond that you would be looking at more money than you would probably want to spend.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and buy braces  ;)
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteAll readily available and the points would cost you the most.

Sorry but a HGJAE generator is a magneto based ignition and no have a the points.  Only a magneto coil and z sparky plugs.
[move][/move]

CapnDirk

Well there you have it, cheaper yet!   :)   Thanks for the FYI
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"