The Difference 28 Years Makes....

Started by Sasquatch, April 04, 2017, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

On the left is my 1976 Executive, and on the right my Parents 2004 Executive.  Monaco bought Executive Industries in the early 80's and continued the line.  The parents and I travel together fairly often.  We literally just got back from Tuscon, AZ.  I should have stayed longer, Boise is still not quite warm.....

Some interesting things about traveling with them over the years.  This is their third diesel pusher since giving me the old Executive 21 years ago.  Until now, the baby Exec (known as 'Guido') could not really keep up anywhere.  Now, not only does she keep up just fine, and comfortably, it will actually out pull it's much younger and more powerful brother.

Guido is comfortable at 60-65 cruise speed.  60 for mileage or 65 if I need to get there.  The newer Exec will cruise all day at 75 like it is floating on air, and have power to spare.  But when we pulled long hills at 6% grades, just leaving the cruise on in both rigs, Guido will actually start to pull away, and quite noticeably.  It's nice.  Of course, I would trade coaches in a flash....

LJ-TJ

:)clap Mate you got something real special there. I'm envious of the hole story. Well done. Take good care of her she's a keeper. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

Now, If you compare having to replace a windshield! ??? ??? ??? ???

Being a diesel guy I love the pushers but I don't think I want one that new, I still like old fashioned manual engine controls on diesels.

legomybago

If you can roll with the big dog, you did something right.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

I am thinking if they can't keep up they are not trying or there is something major wrong. They generally put engines in those that are way to big for the unit just to say they have XX horsepower. Sort of "mine is bigger than yours" type of thing.

Sasquatch

Dad's coach is equipped with a Cummins ISX "red top" engine.  I believe it is 525 hp.  (and insane torque numbers)  He weighs about 45,000 lbs and is towing a 2013 Lincoln MKX suv.  Mine is about 14.5k loaded and has a heavily modified 440.  On our last leg into Boise last night while pulling a grade East of Mountain Home, I noticed him gaining on me.  I knew he was playing so I stood on the girl.  I was able to pull away from him and crested the top of the hill at almost 80 mph.  I kept in her till I hit 90 then backed down.  The only time Semi's pass me on hills is when they are empty.

Keep in mind that I have never been able to do this before.  My coach always fell behind on hills.  But the final round of engine modifications got me over that hump.  She does not lack for power at all.  Cant wait to see what she does with flat top pistons and aluminum heads..... =)

Sasquatch

Quote from: LJ-TJ on April 04, 2017, 10:16 PM
:)clap Mate you got something real special there. I'm envious of the hole story. Well done. Take good care of her she's a keeper. :)ThmbUp

Quite a history with this coach.  My grandfather was the original owner and I even took trips in it and them when I was a child.  When he passed, my dad got it.  In 1996 when they stepped into diesel pushers, they gave it to my now ex wife and I.

The coach was never neglected and used every year.  It has seen 40+ years of yearly upgrades and modifications to the interior and drive train.  She may be old, but she packs a lot of new under the skin.  It even has front and side collision radar like all the new cars are coming out with.  It is a commercial system that was made by Eaton Corp.  You can see the front radar in the photo, it is that black square mounted to the front grille.  Fuel injection, modern electrical system, auto transfer switches, air ride suspension, modern plumbing, the list is extensive.  A labor of love.

Rickf1985

90 mph with 4.56 gears? I would not even want to do the math on the rpm on that one.

Sasquatch

4.88 gears..... I was at about 4800, I think.  Only did it for a moment.  It is good to flog em once in a blue moon. At least that is the lie I keep telling myself. lol.  Many 440 guys say the motor is safe to about 5500-6000, but I dont like to go that high.  Heck, it has probably been above 4200 fewer than a handful of times in 41 years.  Not over 4k normally.

Winnebago Warrior 94

She is a pretty rig ..I love to see one taken care of like that ..and I love the history behind it ..lots of good memories . .I bet you remember  them all with  a smile on your face and a warm place in your heart. .good job keeping her rolling  :)clap

Rickf1985

Quote from: Sasquatch on April 05, 2017, 10:22 PM
4.88 gears..... I was at about 4800, I think.  Only did it for a moment.  It is good to flog em once in a blue moon. At least that is the lie I keep telling myself. lol.  Many 440 guys say the motor is safe to about 5500-6000, but I dont like to go that high.  Heck, it has probably been above 4200 fewer than a handful of times in 41 years.  Not over 4k normally.
No lock up convertor in that trans so add in torque convertor slip and I will bet you were over 5 grand.

tmsnyder

What tires are on it?  I guessed at 8R19.5 tires which are 33.6 inch diameter.

Rick, your calculator (http://spicerparts.com/calculators/engine-rpm-calculator) says 5046 rpm assuming 33.6" diameter tires. 

Rickf1985

I didn't even consult the calculator. It was a rough guess based on years of racing. Yea, you can turn them 5500 rpm.................. 40 years ago before all those years of heat cycles and wear and tear on the components. I am really surprised it held together and did not at least blow a head gasket.

Sasquatch

Your probably right Rick.  Was not focusing on the tach.

70/19.5 radials on it.  The heads were rebuilt about 20k ago, so the gaskets are in good shape.  The compression is great (for a low comp engine), Low end bearings were done about 10k miles ago along with a new Melling oil pump.  So a quick run up to over 5k should not have been a big deal to her.  I should not make a habit of it though, and I dont.  It was a pretty safe environment with no traffic and clear roads.  The speed limit was 80 as well.

As soon as I catch up at work I am going to bring it into the shop and start the next round of work on her.  I have 2.5 pages of stuff to do.  Some repairs, some cleanup of details, and a bunch of upgrades.  New TV's front and rear, sun shades for the front windows, updated window coverings for the rest, rebuild all the windows and reseal them to the body, replace the cruise control, etc.  Will be fun.

legomybago

Reading this thread sure makes me want to get mine out on the road!

Winnebago Warrior 94

Have you ever painted  this be right or is that the original finish 

Sasquatch

This coach has never been repainted.  Before the last trip I spent about 3 days fully cleaning the exterior and waxing.  I cleaned all the fiberglass (front and rear caps, roof and rocker panels) with Soft Scrub with bleach and a Scotch Bright foam pad.  It pulled all the chalky oxidation off and made it look great.  But, it was still faded.  I then used the internet famous wax.... Zep Wet Look Floor Polish obtained from Home Depot.  I put 5 coats on and it really shined her up.  It is said that this will keep it looking great for at least a year, maybe more.  Time will tell.

For the aluminum siding I just used a car wax.

CapnDirk

How about some interior pics?

I'm curious to see how they were laid out back then.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Sasquatch

Quote from: CapnDirk on April 07, 2017, 08:01 PM
How about some interior pics?

I'm curious to see how they were laid out back then.

I have changed mine pretty extensively.  Here is what I have as far as photos.  I lost all my early photos years ago.  What has changed as far as layout is that there was a dinette where the sofa is, and there were twin beds on the sides where the walk around Island bed is now.  Of course, all colors, counters, and some of the appliances have been replaced as well.  So much has been changed, but you can get the idea.  The coach is 26' long on a Dodge M500 chassis.

CapnDirk

I like the sideways bed and bath behind concept.   :)ThmbUp
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

legomybago

What would be cool is if that bed lifted up into the wall out of the way for bath access.

plockit007

Nice Pix...love these vintage rigs. My first one was a 1973 Winnie Minnie.

Sasquatch

Quote from: legomybago on April 08, 2017, 11:30 PM
What would be cool is if that bed lifted up into the wall out of the way for bath access.

I thought about that.  But being only 26' I needed storage.  I put two drawers in the base for clothes and then the bed lifts on lift struts to reveal a big cavern under it for bedding, towels, and bulk storage.  It was very needed.  The downside is you have to do a bit of a side shuffle to get around the bed.  I am used to it but it is not optimal.  It was a trade off.  I hated the twin bunks so it was a worthwhile trade for me.

Oz

I'll take yours over the new one any day and every day!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Winnebago Warrior 94

The paint really looks great  on it and especially  for the age ..that's why i was wondering  if you had repainted  it ..I bought me some of the zephyr floor wax ..I haven't used it yet because I'm thinking about repainting with the rustoleum  paint  roller method and them putting the zep on that when I'm finished . .I didn't want to wax and then paint it .mine is in good shape except the fiberglass on one side is yellowing slightly ..I think painting it would help protect the fiberglass too ..there is also a few cracks I been to repair in the fiberglass  before I paint where the side  swiped a tree ..but nothing too major  ..most of the original  decals on mine are in good shape except for a purple stripe and a pink stripe so I figured  I'd just repaint  over them with purple and pink spray paint to touch them up and keep the other original  since they are still in great shape