Restoring rusting wheel wells

Started by NiftyBetty, March 25, 2017, 07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiftyBetty

Hi, guys.  I finally have my 1975 D19 back in the driveway after a long winter getting her plumbing and electrical systems replaced at the RV repair shop.  Don't even ask me how much that cost.  I'm getting her, and me, ready for our first road trip, and I'd like to spruce up the wheel wells.  They are white, and rust is showing through.   I have been online looking for ways to remove the paint and rust, and I've searched this forum.  Rustoleum Aircraft has been recommended to remove the paint.  The wheels look the originals to me and from pictures it looks like this model had white wheel wells when new.  I don't want to damage anything.  Any suggestions you have will be well appreciated.  I have searched this forum many times and I've learned a lot here.  I will be working with hand tools, and I do have a corded electric drill.   I have tried to post photos. If you don't see them, I guess I need direction on how to do that, too. Each photo is 2.2 MB.  Thanks. 

C&T2

Had to refer to this myself this evening:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8969.0.html

By 'wheel wells', do you mean the rims the tires are on? If so, I'm interested in this too as I have some flaking paint... I was thinking of taking a drill mounted wire wheel to remove the old flaking stuff, give it a light sanding and then prime and re-paint. If you want it really done well - I have a friend who sandblasted and powder coated the rims for their classic Travco and it looks great!

NiftyBetty

Are there places where you can have sandblasting done?  Wouldn't you have to remove the tires and wheels for that?  Thanks for the link.  I have a Chromebook.  Giving the photo thing a try:

Oz

Resize your photos and you can attach them. 

The best and easiest program to use for resizing I've found and have been using for years is IrfanView. It's a breeze and it's free.  I resize all pix to 640x480 and save as jpeg at 70% original quality.  The final version looks completely clear and will reduce a photo of over 250kb down to between 30 - 40kb. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca