finally getting started on boohoos folly

Started by boohoo222, January 28, 2017, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boohoo222

well I am now heading down the hr refurbish road, lets get started....this is what I am starting with.......
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

BrandonMc

boohoo222

1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

BrandonMc

Quote from: boohoo222 on January 28, 2017, 06:42 PM
thanks but it all needs paint or polish

But you have something really nice to start with! Mine doesn't show as much wear from a distance either, and absolutely everything needs a little touch, buff, repair or replace.

boohoo222

that black plastic(I think) covers over rear wheels is cracked several places, don't know just how to fix it

boohoo222

well after very close inspection on hands and knees I found dryrot cracks in 4 out of 6 tires D:oH! $@!#@!

CapnDirk

Mine looked good when I bought it, drove it home 100 miles and looked at them again and thought "my GOD I could have been killed"   :( .  There are cracks 1/8 inch wide. 

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

boohoo222

the spare looked new so took it to be inflated the man told me it was made in 97 and all the others were older than that D:oH!

brians1969

Looks like a nice rig!
I've read numerous stories about old rv tire failures. Anything older than 6-7 years is a accident waiting to happen. Even tires that look good! When they fail, they can destroy tanks, floors, etc.-assuming you didn't lose control of the motorhome.

tmsnyder

LJ-TJ

Holy Cow that's not a motor home It's a flip'n land yacht. All be it a beautiful land yacht  D:oH! And people talk about tiny homes.  :)rotflmao Nice looking rig. Well done. 

boohoo222

thanks everyone, weather is stopping me from doing much today but its gonna get better

LJ-TJ

Hey Boohoo welcome to the club. You can sit there and wait with baited breath in panting anticipation of the weather to brake like the rest of us. Don't let those Blue Sky's and Sunshine fool you. It's  $@!#@! cold out there.  :)rotflmao

boohoo222

boohoo222

this evening I checked the generator, cranked in 2 seconds, and runs great...went inside and took a plug-in guage to every socket I could find and all read 120 , yea!!!! then checked air conditioners, both run great and get cold fast, then turned on fridge it took a while but good and cold and froze ice tray, checked 1 more thing and that was the built in blender( got to have those margaritas) and it works, only checked items that did not need water or lp gas

CapnDirk

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quotethen turned on fridge it took a while but good and cold and froze ice tray

Not sure what your RV background is but just wanted to make sure you know that an RV 2 (LP/120VAC) or 3 (LP/12VDC/120VAC) way absorbtion fridge has to be level when using it or you risk the chemicals inside clogging it up and turning it into a paperweight.
[move][/move]

boohoo222

thanks dave, yes I knew.....capndirk, was empty when we bought it and haven't got none yet

CapnDirk

I had a lot of oil (old propane) in my system and decided to drop the propane tank and flush it out as well as sand blast it.  I found that my BBQ tank hooks right up to the hose and regulator so have been toasty working inside this winter.   :)

Just in case you want to test the other stuff.

boohoo222

thanks capndirk, I too have to repaint mine and your suggestion will be tried

boohoo222

well its been a while since I posted about any progress, 8 months ago I bought some flex seal liquid rubber and did a roof repair on my house and on a leaking utility trailer, I have put the trailer through hell and we have had a lot of heavy t storms and not one leak, so I'm gonna be the test pilot and redo my roof on the holiday rambler which does have a leak that I cannot find with a total coverage with flex seal liquid rubber, ill let you know how it goes and ill post pics as I go along. feedback is welcome W% W%

Rickf1985

I want to know what the price if that is going to be!!!!!!!! I am betting you could replace the roof for less.

boohoo222

hi rick, it will take 3 gallons to do the roof at 90.00 a gal, with brushes and rollers and pans, less than $300.00 dollars, don't think a roof could be replaced for that :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

I thought that stuff was more than that. I am sure getting pictures during would be tough but before and after would be great.

boohoo222

they make it in colors ie white, red, blue, etc. but in my opinion having used several colors the original black works best, and ill just paint it white, bty ace hardware sells it for $89.99 per gal