'88 P30 Chassis Shock Absorbers and Steering Damper

Started by BrandonMc, January 24, 2017, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMc

:D

I wanted to use the top of the line for these. Here's the installation.

1x BILSTEIN 24-026451     36mm Monotube Steering Damper
2x BILSTEIN 24-252898     46mm Monotube Shock Absorber FRONT
2x BILSTEIN 24-015875     46mm Monotube Shock Absorber REAR

Each of the old ones removed were absolute trash. For some reason, I didn't already order the rear shock absorbers, and they are on the way... will update with some pics. Here's the current progress. Alignment may be off, as the steering wheel is now veering off to the right, and I've not tested it or driven on the highway yet. Alignment most likely necessary.

BrandonMc

Rears have been installed. Nothing unusual, just jack up a bit to relieve pressure, and swap in swap out. Once again, the rears were junk. They would resist on rebound, but not compression at all.

Total cost without any labor (I do all this work myself) $$427.97

Rickf1985

Brandon, I noticed the idler arm on the passenger side is pretty dry. Those idler bellcrank assemblies are famous for causing all kinds of alignment issues. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering back and forth pretty  hard and see if there is any play in the bottom of the shaft in either one of those idlers. Any movement side to side at all will give you a ton of problems driving down the road.

Here are the aftermarket replacements, Pricey but you cannot get replacements for the originals and these are much better.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-P3032-Bell-Crank/dp/B009WQQ64M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1486854321&sr=1-1&keywords=supersteer+bell+crank

BrandonMc

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 11, 2017, 06:07 PM
Brandon, I noticed the idler arm on the passenger side is pretty dry. Those idler bellcrank assemblies are famous for causing all kinds of alignment issues. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering back and forth pretty  hard and see if there is any play in the bottom of the shaft in either one of those idlers. Any movement side to side at all will give you a ton of problems driving down the road.

Here are the aftermarket replacements, Pricey but you cannot get replacements for the originals and these are much better.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-P3032-Bell-Crank/dp/B009WQQ64M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1486854321&sr=1-1&keywords=supersteer+bell+crank

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking into this. So far the alignment seemed just great, until the replacements have been made. Did you see the exhaust post in this projects forum ? Thanks for helping me decide on the quiet mufflers!

Rickf1985

I didn't see it but you are welcome. There is nothing worse than a eight hour exhaust drone!

crickle47

I would say you got lucky with installing your rear shocks.
My Bilsteins (same model #) were "too long" ! 
Had to rig up a come-along strap to compress the shock so I could get it onto the top stud, whew!

Rickf1985

The shocks have to be longer than the normal sitting position of the vehicle so that they have room to extend as the suspension drops going around turns and into driveways and such. Otherwise the shock absorber is going to have to try to pick up a 1500 lb. axle and that seldom works out with a good ending.