Got the CB, Need Antenna Help

Started by 87Itasca, October 31, 2016, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I figured I'm dealing with electronics here, so this might be the best place.

I was recently gifted two CB radios, a Cobra LTD 29 Classic, and a Galaxy DX66V. My coach already had an antenna installed, so I just figured I'd use that. Based off my SWR readings, the antenna is too short. The unit is only about 2' long, and someone has shortened it before, judging by the tip.

Obviously I'm going to need to replace it, what would be the best route? A half wave one that doesn't need grounding? Most of the ones I see online are mirror mount units, which is OK, but mine has big "sculpted" side mirrors, that a mirror mount will not work on.

I can't go too high, because I'd imagine hitting a power line could be a real bad day. I've heard of guys running one off the rear aluminum ladder with a mirror mount unit, then running a super long coax cord, but that seems like it would cause signal loss or something over the course of 50'.

I'll attach a photo of the antenna in the next comment below. As far as I can tell, it is grounded to the drip rail above the door, but everything is rusted enough it's going to snap when I try to remove it.

87Itasca

Rickf1985

You are mounted to a fiberglass body so no ground plane, you will need an antennae designed for that.

87Itasca

The antenna bracket is mounted to the metal drip rail on the metal cab. Isn't that grounded?  If not, will pretty much any antenna designed for no ground plane work, or is there something special I need to look out for?

https://www.amazon.com/FireStik-FG4648-B-No-ground-plane-antenna/dp/B000X3EOPG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That puppy may do the trick.

Rickf1985

With the rust and the sometimes sketchy design of these units as far as grounding I would definitely go with the no ground plane antenna. That way if the ground on the cab is not good you have nothing to worry about.  Technically if it is grounded then a regular antenna will work but do you really know how well that drip rail is grounded? The antenna you show will be a good choice but be aware that it is a four foot antenna. The first number is the length, FG2, FG3, FG4.

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

These antenna's are the best around as far as I am concerned, I used to put 500 watts through one! ( You didn't hear me say that!!)

http://www.firestik.com/

87Itasca

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but if my 2 foot antenna is too short, then I would need a 3 or 4' one wouldn't I?

I know 13'6" is the magic number, I just hate to get an antenna that is too short, and have the same problem. The 3' one would likely suffice, I just don't know how much the tip can be 'tuned'. A 2' might be adequate with an adjustable tip, it might not. I don't know how to know.

LJ-TJ

Don't want to take away from 87's question. Can the stock antenna be used on a 75 Winnebago worksas a cb antenna or is there a special antenna that works for both.  Hm?

LJ-TJ

Just found this. Do that mean my regular radio antenna will double as a cb antenna. It was up under the dash. Sylvania Model Syl-Da CB AM FM Ant

Rickf1985

TJ, I am not an expert on antennas, in the past it was considered not a good idea since they worked on different bandwidths. You would generally need a splitter. I don't know about that one, I googled it and it did not come up so I don't know what to tell you.

Itasca, 13'6" is the maximum height for any truck on the major highways. You will be hitting a LOT of stuff on the secondary roads. Height of the antenna does not have anything to do with the matching of the antenna, that is built into the antenna. So no matter the height the antenna is designed to be matched with the adjustable tip within normal parameters. Those parameters will take into effect poor wiring, wrong length of lead wire, differences in ground planes in the surrounding area of the antenna. Keep in mind that you are going to want to go under bridges that are under 13'6". The spring will give it flex but it you smack a steel bridge at 60 mph it will damage the antenna.

Rickf1985

LJ-TJ

Holly Cow! I don't think I really,really,really want to know that much. Shoot it's only an old Winnebago. Shoot the books worth more than I paid for the hole bago. :)rotflmao Any way we got you. D:oH!

Rickf1985

You should have a dedicated antenna, it does not have to be super expensive or fancy but it pays to have the whole setup done by a radio shop since they have all the test equipment to do it right the first time. Find a place that has older guys working the radio installs, they will know all the tricks. The young guys don't know all the old timer tricks since CB is just not that popular anymore. Truck stops are a good place to start or ask at about places that have good installers.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao I was just thinking about checking out my local Husky truck stop. I also got to thinking do we really need a CB these days. Hm?

Rickf1985

I don't use mine, Just do not feel like listening to the trash talk on there. And I mean TRASH talk. I can be pretty rough in the language department around the guys but I don't want to hear it around the family. And then you have the "Foreign Nationals" (politically correct here) blasting out 200 watts from down Texas way in there soon to be our national language (not politically correct there!).

LJ-TJ

I was afraid you were going to say that. I noticed many years ago when the government got out of enforcement of the air waves a lot of trash started. I thought it might come in handy going through the big metropolis in traffic jams to get a little help from the 18 wheelers as to how avoid the traffic jams. I guess things haven't changed all that much. Maybe I'll just for get the hole thing. Thanks Mate.   

Rickf1985

They are more handy out on the open road where there is not a lot of traffic. Once you get in congested areas it is unlikely you would get any of the truckers to talk to you anyway. They all know each other and they all stay in there own clik.

Froggy1936

They are invaluable especially with the weather band warning of very bad weather in whatever area you may be in (it will break into broadcast during emergency) Also very good for others to tell you if you have an unseen problem esp with tires ! or falling off parts ! :D  I have mine on all the time on channel 19  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

Get a marine cb antenna made for fiberglass boats if no one else posted that.
M & J

boohoo222

in your situation, go to a truckstop and get a 2 ft  antenna with built in coil , use on existing mount and use short ground wire to good ground,  ive been using, repairing and installing cb radios for 33 years and that would be your cheapest and easiest way to go,,,just saying W%
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b