The infamous Dana 6C00024 wiper module.

Started by CapnDirk, January 02, 2017, 11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

Been working on two systems and three problems for a while.  Yesterday I got my reward and had the three problems solved.   One of the three was no dash heat and I'll keep that in the other thread.  Two of the three involved the Dana system and its "smart stick".  My stick/system was suffering from ED (electrical dysfunction) largely due to techs and POs hacking things up.  I had no wipers and no high beam, and they had wired a toggle switch on the dash, for wipers (pulled the original wires off the motor, and a foot switch for the high beam.  The foot switch had been hacked into the human hair size wires (Dana stick and controller) of the high beam wiring instead of after the box to pick up the heavier wires.  That didn't last.

As with the "infamous fuel pump relay"  I popped open the Dana box to take a look.  Where it sucks on my particular control box and stick, is that Winnebago apparently only used it for a VERY short time.  In the common part lists for that era, it shows 4-5 variants with all but one showing ONE box for cruise and wipers with my setup having TWO.  Opening the wiper box revealed what you see in the pictures, and the repair.  Another pic shows a screwdriver pointing to a blown diode on that same circuit.  Diode part number was nowhere to be found with Googling.  I posted to an electronics forum and they advised of a replacement diode of 1N5402 3A diode.  The last number is the voltage.  Stock was 50V, and advise from the forum was go a bit bigger to give it some more heft.

I put all the wiring back to stock on the wiper motor, repaired the fine wires at the controller, eliminated the toggle switch and foot dimmer switch, and repaired the control box.

First, the wipers.  No joy.  However, I jumpered power to the motor wire and there is a good amount of current draw and the wiper arm will bump a fraction.  Right spindle was binding up.  Took care of that and I have high, low, and momentary wipers.  Wooooohoooo!

Next turn signals and the stick is sloppy.  Puled the steering wheel and found the turn signal cam broken, probably from yanking back on the high beam that was broken.  Replaced the cam and turn signals are fine.  As an added bonus I noticed while replacing the cam ($10) I had no emergency flashers.  While under the dash working on heater problems I found a familiar wire with a right hand two lug female socket.  Plugged a flasher in and I have emergency flashers now.

Next, high beams.  This is I believe why this stick was short lived.  The cover on the bottom is about 7 inches long.  It fingers into some slots at the outer end and has one small screw at the column end with no reinforcement to the plastic at that end.  When engaging high beam (pulling back) the lever rotates a switch into the wall of the casing.  The switch is push on, push off (reversing the state of the switch). It was jammed when I started because the switch had hopped out of its pocked, it had simply pushed the cover out of the way allowing too much movement.  If I held the cover in place, the setup worked fine.  After some thought. I could not come up with a serviceable solution, and epoxied the cover in the area where the switch would push it out of place.  High beams work great!

On a side note, Winnebago did send me the docs on two of the Dana variants which I'll forward to OZ if the library does not have them since they would pertain to most of you.  They could not come up with this one.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

CapnDirk

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

EldoradoBill

Just an FYI for those not wanting to tackle their own module repair...

I bought an old stock Dana module from a Freightliner chassis and modified the wiring to work in my 91. Then I sent the original out to be rebuilt. $100 plus postage from a place in Harrisburg PA, Flight Systems Industrial Products. I ordinarily use them for motor controls so I was familiar with their work. They can repair fuel pump timer modules as well.

Now I have a spare