How Bruce got his name

Started by russmehl, December 03, 2008, 07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russmehl

Sent: 2/7/2006

I didn't name our '76 D26RT "Bruce".. the kids did. It has a lot to do with the movie "Finding Nemo". The Orange Suzuki on the trailer (see album) got brought to MI from TX through a gulley washing rainstorm, with semi traffic passing us left and right, a lot like a certain scene in a certain movie. Our blue van got a name from the movie, my orange pickup got one, and on and on. (and on)
"Bruce" is actually Bruce II as I bought a "72 D21 off Ebay and Then learned all I needed to about MH roofs. It might have worked for all we wanted to do last summer, but the knowledge found online made me a smarter owner. So while I fixed the roof ,I went back to Ebay and found a much better MH. Sold #1 and the rest is history.
The list of things to fix was the usuall stuff that comes with an old 440 Winnie... manifolds, rubber lines, cracked water tank, septic tanks, (remind me to post that fix!), leaking windows, leaking wheels cyl., but no leaking roof. A previous owner had a roofing company, and although it wasn't in the Ebay description, I thought it might just have a rubber roof. Lucky me! It did!
So after fixing this and fixing that, we left on a two and a half week trek from Southern MI, to Silverton CO. We decided to get out of the mountains by going south and got to add N.M. to the list. Then it was a race to get to Houghton, MI in time to dump the kids off for a week. Mom and Dad went for some mosquito bashing in MN and bought the other Suzuki on the trailer, picked up the kids and meandered home.
Close to 5000 miles, some belts, bolts, an alternator, muffler (internal collapse), a little electrical tape, some plexiglas. A bit of work, a lot of scenery, a lot of gas, a Lot of fun!
Russ

Oz

Sent: 2/8/2006

Good to hear that not all E-bay buys are horror stories.  What a trip!  Got your money's worth and more just from that one.  "Bruce"... hmmmm.... what comes to my mind is "Bruce Almighty".  Thanks for sharing the story and we hope you make as many memorable miles this year too.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

russmehl

Oh, this is nice!
I was looking for a place to make my first post...
and here is the perfect place to hide. 

Russ

Oz

Why Russ....  you did make your first post... back in 2006?   :laugh:

Poof!  It's magic!

"I love this bar!" 

russmehl

It looks like my previous post didn't count... I am still getting the annoying window.
Maybe this will make it go away?

Oz

Yes, this post will do it.  You now see that you are a "member" in your side-bar profile info.

I'm trying to get the coding that will credit all our members with their posts which were transferred when they join or make their first post and also change their member group class.  The vast majority of topics still have to be "split" down into their individual topics yet, so whenever I get the coding I need, member post counts will continue to increase as we work our way through that task.

However, the change in member status won't be automatic until I get this code, so I have to do it all manually until then. 

ClydesdaleKevin

Welcome back Bruce!  Can't wait to read some more of your stories! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.