1972 Indian Dashboard Rework

Started by classicrockfanatic, November 25, 2016, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockfanatic

Pretty excited to share the work I'm doing on my dashboard. I've got a week of intermittent work done, but there's still a long road to the ultimate goal. I plan to refurbish the original instrument panel, so that driving can operate without a computer, but ultimately I will mount a touch screen display onto the center of the dash. I plan to run it on a raspberry pi, linux, and arduino array. In the end I hope for a full rv control system. Its a grand aspiration, and we'll have to see how far I get, but definitely I'll start integrating systems one at a time. For now the restoration of basic instrument controls and drive system will take priority.

hope you all enjoy, and feel free to give me any feedback or ideas for my system, as it comes to fruition.

-Mike

LJ-TJ

Wowzer, Wowzer, Wowzer. D:oH! That's flipping gorgeous.

Rickf1985

You got TJ's attention, he is ALL about gauges. Show him TJ.

CapnDirk

Coming soon to a forum near you..........  Classic Winnebago with heads up display!   :)clap
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

So I like to know what's going on when I'm driving. I have left to right a Aux Fuel Gauge, Main Fuel Gauge, Volt, Vacuum, Trans Temp, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure and Tach.

classicrockfanatic

*whistles* you do some nice work sir, it looks like a airplane cockpit. 
I think you and I share a desire for information overload, I like playing with electronics, so it seams appropriate to integrate as much as I can, into one interactive system.

LJ-TJ

Awwww I just love your work. Your doing a beautiful job on your rig. I love and look forward to you progress. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

TJ is not telling you that he also has an antique airplane, hence the love of gauges. I would bet there are more gauges in his motorhome than in the airplane though. TJ, You missed a gauge, where is your rear differential temperature gauge? Oh, and the tire pressure monitoring gauges?

LJ-TJ

Well Mr. if you look to the left you'll see a blank spot left for those. :)rotflmao Any way in case anyone might be interested. In my research and in my opinion there are only two gauges worth there salt that I considered for purchase because of accuracy  were the Stewart Warner or Autometer. In the end it was Autometer that I went with and could afford. Yes what your looking at on the interment panel is over a $1,000.00 dollars in gauges if you bought them all new. I however spent quite a few hours on Craig's List and E-bay and ended up with + - $400.00 dollars. Well worth it for accuracy and What I love there all AMERICAN made.  Hm?

CapnDirk

Hmmm.  Still have an altimeter and turn and bank on the shelf, maybe an interesting addition?   :)clap
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"