1972 Chieftain Winnebago A.K.A 'Where Dogs Lie'

Started by moezart, November 14, 2016, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Don't forget to let us know how your making out. We'll be monitoring regularly to see how your do'n.

LJ-TJ

Oh! And don't forget N.A.P.A., T/A Truck Stops/Flying J's and Walmart. Good places to lay over if you have to.

Rickf1985

Going to be hard to see through the windshield with a blanket over it! :D

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Ben there done that. It can be done. Not my favorite thing to do. i?? :)ThmbUp

M & J

M & J

moezart

:)rotflmao Lol. No, for at night so I don't let the cold in from the windows. Sheesh.

CapnDirk

So the full story is NIGHT driving with a blanket over the windshield to keep the cold out!   :)rotflmao

Come on people I think he has been very clear!  :D
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

:D This is going to be a fun trip. Piece of cake,  nothing to it, got it coverd :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

And the temps in the Dakota's are what right about now? ??? I would be waiting a few days for things to settle down a bit!

moezart

Oh boy, if I do that at night, I might as well turn on cruise control, and go do some thing in back.  :)rotflmao  Fun trip indeed.
I hear you Rick, weather is not on my side going to Montana.

CapnDirk

We did not mention cruise control as that is just assumed.   :)clap

Be careful.  You're driving a room on wheels, so no need to push it.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

And NO! You cannot set the cruise and go back and get a cup of coffee!!! (Yes, people have done it, with the expected results)

moezart

:)rotflmao  yeah, won't try it. Lol

On a good note, I'm off to Las Vegas!
Let the adventures begin

LJ-TJ

Gezzzzzzzz that's a good looking rig. Well be watching. Take your time, don't get in a hurry and enjoy the adventure. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

moezart

She's a beaute! LJ-TJ. I made it to Las Vegas with out a problem. With the 440, she cruised at 60-65 with no problem and the pedal was not to the floor. Just barely had my foot on it. Now, when I rolled into Las Vegas in the evening, I noticed I didn't have headlights i??  I have running lights, but no headlights. I had them working before the transmission shop. What gives? I could use a break on some of this. It's going to be a cold drive too. No heater  :-[
One last thing, does anyone know what size snow chains to get for these tires?

legomybago

Your headlight issue is either your dimmer switch on the floor, or your headlight switch..That's two common spots to look anyway with your test light.....or your headlights are all probably burnt out!! :)rotflmao
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

There is a breaker built into the headlight switch that will cut out the headlights if you have a short. The first thing I would check is the high beam switch. The VERY first thing I would do is go out with a test light or meter and see if there is actually no power at the light plug or if you may have two blown out lights, been known to happen. High beam switches are a problem since they are on the floor and get road salt and grime in them. If worse comes to worse you can just jump the terminals in the plug to get your lights back if the high beam switch is bad and you can't get one. I hope you brought along the wiring diagram from Dave that will have the headlight switch supply wiring on it so you can track that back to the source.

Rickf1985

I see Lego and I think alike, he just types less and faster. :D

moezart

Cool. I was thinking it was the dimmer switch as well. I wanted to see what you all thought. Yeah, I have the wire diagram and my test light. I will check for power from the light switch first, then trace it from there.
Any ideas on what size snow chains fits best?

Rickf1985

Just Google tire chains and find one of the bigger online stores that have all the sizes listed. Do you have enough clearance between the tire and the body for chains? If not look at cables. And you do not always have to chain both tires on the duals, you can chain just the outer dual. If you are going to do both be sure you have enough clearance on the inside between the springs and tires and any bodywork, pipes and such.

moezart

Good call Rick, it is tight between the tires and body. I will check, and might have to go with cables.

moezart

Ok, I got the headlights working. The PO jumped the wires to the panel light switch, which I think burned out the headlights. I do believe I have a short on my panel lights. So, I disconnected them entirely and jumped my yellow wire, headlights, to my brown wire, running lights.
My next question is, the blower motor for the heater. Are both those leads positive? Red and Orange? I tested them straight to a battery, and it sparked, plus it wouldn't run. I tested the heater switch for power and it was positive for power. If the blower motor is out, do you guys know if this is a common blower motor to get?

moezart

I've been so busy doing nothing once I got home, I forgot to mention it here, I MADE IT HOME! She ran like a sewing machine. Once I arrived in Utah, I was around snow. That's when I found out I don't like my brake setup. I made it though, stayed away from everyone, gave far enough room to stop. It was all snow in southern Utah, and cleared up in Provo. I had an icing experience on the plains of Idaho. It was cold, like driving in a deep freezer! I bundled up more, and drove on. Montana roads were great, up to the 93. There was a head on collision that made me have to drive in the back roads of Polson. Dirt roads full of snow, on a ravine. After this agonizing 2 hour delay, I did not make my mark of arriving home. It was snow flurries at night, and didn't want to take my chances. I arrived Christmas Eve morning with snow on the roads and light snow.
This handled all the crazy road conditions and I love it. Braking is a whole other subject though. I was infear a couple moments in the snow. This definitely needs disc in front, and make sure that it's adjusted properly.
I can't wait to finish other improvements and take it out in better weather.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Your the man. Welcome to the CLUB >GRIN<. Glad you decided hang in there. Man the adventures are about to begin. Welcome to Winnebago's 101. Congratulations on a job well done. Oh! What'd the doctor charge you to remove the seat cushion.  :)clap :)rotflmao