1972 Indian rebuild

Started by classicrockfanatic, November 05, 2016, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockfanatic

I'm starting this thread to showcase the work I'm undergoing on exterior refurbishment, but openly look for any advice people would like to contribute as my progress continues.

The next step in my classic Winnebago rebuild, will be dealing with dry rot in my forward nose. While removing the dashboard during my engine rebuild, I discovered that some of the paneling would require refurbishment before re-assembly could commence. It seems that the culprit was a combination of failed seals around the face molding, and pinhole deterioration in outer aluminum skin. To prevent any water damage from ruining my new work, I plan to fiber glass any paneling prior, and in bond with, the original aluminum skin.

Its a bit of a process to do all this, and thus far I have removed the face of the RV ( the easy part), separated the original aluminum facade from wood bonded paneling, templated all the pieces, and begun laminating replacement panels.

LJ-TJ

GOOD LORD now that's a project. I shall be following your progress with great interest. When I see things I might be abler to help with I'll send it along. Welcome aboard. D:oH!

classicrockfanatic

Thank you, I'll try my best to keep the progress updated, but I generally just make strides on the weekend.

M & J

Thats not a nose job, thats a face lift.
M & J

LJ-TJ

Why should you be any different than the rest of us. One small project at a time and BINGO you'll be done before you know it. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

You mean to tell me that these things are supposed to get FINISHED?! What am I doing wrong?

classicrockfanatic

Someday Ill get this finished, someday..

but until then, I take it one step at a time.

This weekend I got all the panels laminated and trimmed 6 of the 8 pieces. Next week, Ill finish trimming the remaining panels, and fiberglass!

M & J

Looks like a humongous zig saw puzzle.
M & J

CapnDirk

It's been my experience that it is usually the female unit that feels (for some unexplained reason) that it should get finished.  Either that or they are happy you have an outside hobby and you are leaving them alone.   :D

Nice work by the way.  It's fortunate to have enough left to use as a template.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao CapnDirk's got that part right. Put sounds like you got it figured. Each day, weekend one LITTLE Project and before you know it you'll be done. The accolades you'll receive from the Hot Rod crowed will be amazing. Hang in there and let us know how your making out. LOOKING GOOD! :)ThmbUp

classicrockfanatic

Laying out some of the pieces to check how the trim fits. Any spots that are tight, or don't seem right, will be much easier to fix before fiber glassing. Before bonding, I think I might do a mock assembly on the vehicle too, just to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

I'm also planning on replacing the aluminum skin, that backs the upper grill. I haven't decided if I'll paint it, anodize it, or just clear coat it. decisions, decisions...

LJ-TJ

WOW! that looks fantastic. How's polished Stainless Steel for a backing sound. That would be original. D:oH! Awh it's looking goood.

edog1973

So, your bego is a Decepticon?

classicrockfanatic

I happen to be partial to the geometry of decepticons' logo vs the autobots'. I have a few of those decals printed up, I slap them on machinery transformers at work, when no ones looking

classicrockfanatic

Quote from: LJ-TJ on November 10, 2016, 10:26 AM
WOW! that looks fantastic. How's polished Stainless Steel for a backing sound. That would be original. D:oH! Awh it's looking goood.

Stainless isn't a bad thought, but I've already got my aluminum. Actually, the piece shown was scratched in shipping, so the vendor sent me another one. I was told I can keep the damaged item, so I'm thinking I'll use the scuffed piece to refresh the plastic headlight sheets.

Rickf1985

classicrockfanatic

That would be too cool.
maybe on my next Winnie  ;)

classicrockfanatic

Still waiting on some fiber glass materials  Hm? .

So I did a little work on the interior wall. I anticipated leaving myself more wood on the inside of the frame, but an unanticipated stretch of base wood, raised up my offset and required me to do some adaptive trimming.

The next side will be better  ;)

LJ-TJ

Holy Cow! Are you kidding me. WOW! Now I've seen everything. You've just proven than any of us if we wanted to put the effort into it can rebuild anything in these old girls. Well done mate. Well done.  :)clap :)ThmbUp

classicrockfanatic

Made a little head way with some lamination and bonding. I decided, that, bonding all the wood with fiberglass, was too ambitious. Instead I just laminated the aluminum face skins. With a good seal into the corrosion and pin holes of the panel, I'm fairly certain the underlying wood will be safe.

Getting a little creative with bonding, in the last picture

Schmitti

Great work  :)ThmbUp Amazing :)

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

classicrockfanatic

Coming together, one piece at a time

kerryb

You do nice work,  and you're making impressive progress.  On a recent trailer project, I coated all the marine plywood surfaces and edges with epoxy (no glass cloth) to waterproof them before assembly.  Adds a little wieght, but makes the parts impervious to moisture.  Learned this from a kayak I built 25 years ago that still takes me camping for a week each summer.  Just sayin...

classicrockfanatic

This was a case of really bad rot. I wish I could have just epoxy'd over the existing wood, but there wasn't any, only dry rot and silicone. I can see the epoxy working with just wood, but epoxy cured with a fiber substrate is far stronger and durable than a superficial resin coating.

I plan to make this my full time home, once its finished, so I'm trying to do things as well as I can.

classicrockfanatic

I've got some work to do still, but man is it coming together nicely.