1972 m375 exhaust manifold stud repair

Started by classicrockfanatic, October 30, 2016, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockfanatic

During my engine deconstruction/ reconstruction, I unfortunately sheered off an exhaust manifold stud, and shattered the mount corner during my efforts to remove aforementioned stud. Not very surprising, considering the age of the vehicle, combined with time and heat, the stud and casting grew quite attached to each other.
After looking into purchasing an outright new casting, I decided I would first try my luck to braze the corner back together with a dowel blank. The attached photos will give you a better sense for the process of work.

The test of time and use will prove whether my repairs worked, but, it is worth pointing out, to any interesting in reproducing this, that theoretically the brazing could fail during prolonged use. brazing enters a liquid phase around 800F, while some exhaust manifolds could easily exceed 1000F. I believe that the position of my repairs, help to isolate it from high heat exposure, and very well may be permanent, but, in the end, if it does fail, I still have 3 more bolts holding it on W% 

Rickf1985

Looks like a pretty good repair, I would have gone with preheat and high nickel rod and built it up by welding but now that it has brass on it that is impossible. What I would do at this point is tap the hole all the way through and when you bolt up the exhaust use a bolt that will go through with enough on the back side for a nut and a large washer to spread the load. Tighten the bolt as normal and then put the large washer and nut on the back and tighten them. Not excessively tight but a good grunt. This will tend to pull the flange back up against the force of the bolt pulling down. Also make sure the exhaust pipe is perfectly lined up with the flange so the manifold is not having to pull the pipe into position.