Replacement battery DC supply selector relays available?

Started by zaa, September 22, 2016, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaa

Hello everyone,

Last year, I replaced the stock transformer in my 1986 Elandan with a newer power supply / battery maintainer. I am currently still using the factory DC supply selector relay (not sure that's their technical name), and it's starting to get on my nerves. I've cleaned the contacts on this thing numerous times, and again today. You'd think it would either make contact, or not, but it causes some of the strangest electrical problems sometimes. I'm wondering if anyone makes a more reliable switch like this?

Thanks,
Z

DaveVA78Chieftain

The answer will depend on what you mean by:
QuoteLast year, I replaced the stock transformer in my 1986 Elandan with a newer power supply / battery maintainer.

You may not even need the relay depending on what you installed.
[move][/move]

zaa

DaveVA78Chieftain

The PowerMax PM3 Series 3 stage Converter Charger does not require the 12VDC Source select relay.    The House battery and house DC fuse panel are wired together in parallel.  How you hook it up direct like this will depend on what kind of House DC distribution panel you have.  The picture  looks like you may have originally had a Progressive Dynamics system.  If so, what model?
[move][/move]

zaa

Sorry for the delay, life happened.

Here are more pictures of the unit. I currently have the transformer and full wave rectifier completely disconnected from the circuit. I ran the output wires from the new DC supply to where the transformer output connected. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to eliminate the relay, but if you have information that could make it easier, I'd really appreciate it.

As an aside, the lowest AC breaker seems weak, it often trips even when just using a small fan. Are these still available?

Thanks for your help!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Essentially, with your newer style 3 stage converter, you delete all the stuff in the lower section (converter) and just hook the new converter directly to the DC fuse board and house battery.

For reference, B-W Mfg was bought by Magnetek Corp (now Parallax Corp).  That is an a very early 6300 Series linear converter.
[move][/move]

RANGERRICK

I may have a complete lower section for that converter if needed.

Rickf1985

CapnDirk

Take it from a few mechanics and juice herders here.  On old stuff there is often a minimal return on investment (read: band aids are cheaper than surgery, but band aids have to be replaced often).

I would rather go to sleep at night knowing my electrical and propane systems were good then to wonder what that hum was, or if that smell was the dog had farted.... or not.

I'm in an odd mood this morning.   :)rotflmao
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"