1996 Itasca Sunrise 31rq F53 Project Suspension Upgrades 4

Started by FrankenHome, September 28, 2016, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankenHome

Now I'm ready to install a full set of Firestone Ride-rite airbag helper springs. I ordered everything through SD Truck Springs. Total cost $1154.00. The reviews for the Firestone airbags were all positive but some commented about the quality of the installation instructions. Apparently some found the instructions lacking making it difficult and confusing to install the kits. So before I did anything I unboxed the parts, read the instructions and made sure that I understood everything. Fortunately I didn't find the instructions lacking at all. Just straight forward and direct. One thing that anyone installing an aftermarket kit needs to remember is that the instructions are typically created from a once size fits all approach and unless there's information specific to your RV, they are more or less generic. The installation is actually not too difficult but it is certainly labor intensive. For safety reasons, I only worked on one corner at a time. I did all the work with my RV parked at the curb in front of my house. Starting with the right rear I removed the duals for clear access to the leaf springs, axle and frame rail. Following the instructions, preassemble the mounting bracket to the airbag and position the airbag on the axle and leaf spring. Line everything up and mark the frame for the mounting bolts. I was able to use an existing frame bolt holes for one of the mounting bolts. I had drill the remaining bolt holes. Not difficult but make sure that you don't have any brake lines, fuel hoses or wiring hiding on the other side just waiting to be eaten by your drill bit. Completely finish mounting each airbag, install the wheel(s) and remove the jack and jack stands before doing anything else. Installing the air hoses, compressor, control panel and wiring are next.