Batteries 6 volt / charger/Generator

Started by LJ-TJ, October 24, 2016, 07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Here goes nothing. I just bought two new Trojan T-105 batteries so I can run my 5 amp furnace at night say after 10:00 when I shut down the generator. I was thinking that when I got up in the morning say 7:00/8:00 o'clock in the morning and fired up the generator I'd like to charge the batteries. So I was thinking of buying a battery charger and hooking it up to run off the generator to charge the batteries and charging them over the period of the day so when we went to bed that night the batteries would be fully charged. Good idea/bad idea? Also if the 6 volts are wired in series do I just put the positive clamp on the positive post of the one battery and the negative clamp on the far battery negative post. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Don't you have a newer charger/converter in yours? Like a Boondocker? That should take care of the batteries automatically when you fire up the generator.

LJ-TJ

Nup! I guess that means that's a hint I should be looking at one? Hm?

Rickf1985

A lot easier than your present method and a lot better for the batteries. Not to mention the float charge so that when you store it for the winter all you have to do is plug it in and they will stay topped off all winter. No more removing and storing in the house.

LJ-TJ

Any suggestions what I'm looking for. Can you get ? off e-bay? any idea what a good deal might be? Hm?

legomybago

QuoteYou only double the voltage with 2 of those not the Ah so two 6VDC 105Ah batteries in series only = 105Ah not 210Ah.  Two 12VDC 105Ah batteries in parallel do = 210Ah.
I did not know this about 6v batteries and the amp hours. I thought they all doubled. I'm an electrical moron. Lots to learn.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

legomybago

You cant go wrong with a Progressive Dynamics unit. Here are some examples, but it depends on what you have now, or how you want to go about installing a new unit?? I put the 60amp one in my rig, and I have a separate 12v distribution panel I had to make, plus my 110v panel is also its own entity. So mine was simple. I think a lot of the old Bago's have a complete tied together convertors don't they? 110v breakers/DC circuits? idk
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=progressive+dynamics&sprefix=progressive+%2Cautomotive%2C206
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

Now I'm really confused. I thought the T-105's where 250 amp hours :( Go figure  i?? I'll never get this stuff figured out. D:oH!

CapnDirk

Oz may move this to the docs area, but here is something I had.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

You can't go wrong by calling Best Convertor. Randy knows his stuff and will get you what you need. Do not go with something that is substantially bigger than what you had unless you plan to rewire the convertor to battery circuits. If it was set up for 40 amp and you put in 60 amp you will burn up the original wiring. And you may be able to save a couple bucks buying on E-bay but I will tell you from experience that the customer service after the sale is worth and little extra you pay from Best!

Rickf1985

Capn, somehow that chart does not make sense?  a 100 hour rate of 250 amps?! Unless I am reading it wrong. as the hours increase so does the amp rating? I am tired but I am missing something here.

if a battery hold 200 amps then you can draw 200 amps for one minute, 20 amps for 10 minutes, 2 amps for 100 minutes. Correct?

I need to get more sleep I guess. I should know all of this stuff.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteCapn, somehow that chart does not make sense?  a 100 hour rate of 250 amps?! Unless I am reading it wrong. as the hours increase so does the amp rating? I am tired but I am missing something here.

If a battery has a rating of 185AH @ 5 Hr rate, then that battery was discharged over 5 hours with a 37 amp load (185/5=37).
If a battery has a rating of 100AH @ 20 Hr rate, then that battery was discharged over 20 hours with a  5 amp load (100/20=5).
If a battery has a rating of 250AH @ 100 Hr rate, then that battery was discharged over 100 hours with a  2.5 amp load (50/100-2.5).

As you can see, rating depends on load size.   The most widely used standard for deep cycle batteries is the 20 Hr Rate.
So, that is why a Trojan 105 is normally listed at 225AH (20 Hr Rate).  Always compare battery specs using the same reference (e.g 20 Hr rate)

Automotive batteries typically are referenced at a 10 Hr Rate.
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

It would help if we set a baseline for TJ so everyone knows what he is starting with:
Progressive Dynamics PD-5000 AC DC Distribution Panel and 60 AMP Converter with

He will need a completely new system to get where he needs to be.
[move][/move]