AC Condenser removal.......or not.

Started by kennyrodgers, September 20, 2016, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyrodgers

Just throwing this one out there.
For some reason or another the AC doesn't work on my 94 Southwind. I havn't looked into why and to be honest I'm not overly fussed about getting it fixed as it rarely gets above freezing in the UK anyway. Don't get me started about the rain either........

I've been following a related thread on another forum about the why's and wherefores of removing the condenser but can't make my mind up whether to dive in or not.
I not over keen on throwing money at the AC system to get it working as it would get used for about 1 day a year.....if it were very lucky. My knowledge of automotive AC systems amounts to zero so is there something simple I should look at first like a fuse or a relay,  failing an easy fix like that it will stay redundant and if so, the question is
Is there much to be gained from an engine cooling perspective by removing the wasted lump sat in front of the radiator.
As ever.....Thanks in advance.
:)ThmbUp
J.F.D.I

TerryH

My opinion, and I am not an AC expert - Froggy and Rick can help you more.
I've spent some time in the UK. You say one day a year? Remove it. High draw on the engine, electrical, and especially fuel. Takes up a fair amount of room in the engine compartment. Anything you remove gives easier access for other systems. However, consider belts.
Again, better information will come from others.
My opinion.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Well, if the system is not working then there is no draw so lets not dwell on that right now. On mine the condenser is ALSO my engine oil cooler so make sure you do not have the heavy duty engine cooling option. You can tell just by looking up from under the radiator and if you see oil cooler hoses going under the radiator then you have that option and one side of the condenser is engine oil cooler and the other side is AC condenser. What a lot of people do not realize is that the AC comes on during defrost also and it helps to clear the windshield when it fogs up. I have had mine get fogged inside on a really wet day and could not clear it short of having the defrost on with the heat turned ALL the way up. That can get rather uncomfortable in your freezing 50 degree temps over there. W% :)rotflmao If you want to get it going I can talk you through a couple check to see if it is worth it.

On the flip side IF you do not have the engine cooler option and if you want to take out the condenser then nothing will be lost. You could also take out the AC compressor OR you could turn it into an air compressor for tires and air horns and anything else you wanted air for.

Rickf1985

An error occurred and I lost my whole damn post!!!

Well, if the system is not working then there is no draw so lets not dwell on that right now. On mine the condenser is ALSO my engine oil cooler so make sure you do not have the heavy duty engine cooling option. You can tell just by looking up from under the radiator and if you see oil cooler hoses going under the radiator then you have that option and one side of the condenser is engine oil cooler and the other side is AC condenser. What a lot of people do not realize is that the AC comes on during defrost also and it helps to clear the windshield when it fogs up. I have had mine get fogged inside on a really wet day and could not clear it short of having the defrost on with the heat turned ALL the way up. That can get rather uncomfortable in your freezing 50 degree temps over there. W% :)rotflmao If you want to get it going I can talk you through a couple check to see if it is worth it.

On the flip side IF you do not have the engine cooler option and if you want to take out the condenser then nothing will be lost. You could also take out the AC compressor OR you could turn it into an air compressor for tires and air horns and anything else you wanted air for.

kennyrodgers

Cheers guys., appreciate the replies.
There is a third smaller cooler in front of the AC one but I'm guessing that's the tranny cooler ?
Rick,
I'll get under there and take a couple of pictures and email them to you and we can take it from there.
Thanks again all.
ps, I like the idea of a compressor  :)ThmbUp
J.F.D.I