LeSharo Transmission doesn't shift

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 23, 2008, 11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesignateLarry257

Sent: 4/22/2004 7:15 AM

Have a 85 Le Sharo with Renault drivetrain. The 3 speed auto changed fine last fall. Set up for about 3 months over the winter and now the unit will not shift of of 1st gear. Took it for a ride and it did shift into 2nd one time but I think that was a fluke of the right speed and going downhill. After that it would not shift at all out of low. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

denisondc

Sent: 4/22/2004 7:53 AM

Renault Trannys I know nothing about.I presume you have checked that the fluid level was okay, not too high or too low, nor too dirty. All I can think of would be that the shifter mechanism, between the lever you move and where this linkage goes into the transmission has hung up or come loose. or that the kickdown modulator is bad. It might be a vacuum diaphram on your machine, or it could be a rod that moves back and forth with throttle position. Have you posted this question to the Lesharo group at www.groups.yahoo.com?

Jhoffa

Sent: 4/26/2004 12:17 AM

First, my condolences.. (I own a Phasar.. so now we both have someone to pity)Second, I know nothing at all about these particular transmissions. Mine is a stick shift. However, while the condition you described could be caused by many things, the most likely candidates would be the shift valves or something related to the throttle valve. It works like this: The Governor meters pressure to one side of the shift valves, in relation to Road Speed. The shift valves are sized, as per Pascal's principles, to throw at a specified pressure and give you an upshift. The 1-2 valve, for example, would be the largest.. When governor pressure builds behind this valve, it throws and shifts to second. the 2-3 Valve is a little smaller and so on and so forth. On the opposite side of the valve (Assuming this is not an electronically controlled Transmission) using the same principles is the Throttle Valve. It meters pressure to the shift valves in relation to throttle angle. When you romp down on the throttle, it puts pressure on the opposite side of the shift valve and gives you a downshift. What could have happened is:

1) Stuck TV CableUnlikely but easy to check. Look at the Throttle linkage and find a cable that connects the throttle and the transmission. Make sure it's not broke or stuck and that it returns to it's closed position when you release the throttle.

2) Stuck Throttle Valve. You can remove the valve body and get to it (probably) or you can romp repeatedly on the throttle and try to loosen it up. Sometimes, if you get lucky, you can beat up on one a little and they will let go and work normally.

3) Stuck Shift Valve. You can remove the valve body and clean these, hone their bores with some 600 grit sandpaper on a wire hone.. Or you can hope they let go and start working normally again.. Not much else you can do.

4) Stuck Governor. Many times these can be removed with the Transmission in place. They're normally driven by the output shaft and are a centrifugal type mechanism. If you can find and remove it, make sure it works freely and doesn't bind. Believe it or not, a night in the freezer can often cure a sticking governor. You may find it under a cap near the spedo cable. Regards & good luck!

PS: I assume you checked fluid levels, etc... I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but you didn't specify. PSS: It came to my attention the other day that you might have an electronically controlled unit in '85If that's the case, check the resistance in the speed sensors, TPS and shift soleniods. You might get off cheaply on this if one of them are faulty 

Rob57

The most common problem with these Renault Trafic I chassis when they don't shift properly is the kickdown switches.  Most have two and some have only one.  One is next to the throttle and the other next to the firewall.  Unplug them and shift manually until you replace or clean the switch contacts or you will toast the transmission.  The switch next to the throttle is particularly for the Dana Cruise Control Module, an option on the Lesharo, but std on the Phasar.  The one on the Firewall has the throttle cable pass through it.  You will need to contact the Lesharo repair service in Montana to get the replacement part.  (Be aware, the ML1-006 transmission E1/E2 can't be rebuilt, the entire unit has to be installed as a group... the E1/E2 are installed by bending metal tabs and they often break off in the process!)  The solenoids can sometimes give some trouble, but unlikely if you follow the maintenance schedule and replace the fluids every 14K miles and wash out the AT filter in mineral spirits, & dry before reuse. These are hardy transmissions.