Rubber roof on d21 brave

Started by Rollingmenace, September 07, 2016, 11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollingmenace

Ok well after a hail storm we had here my 76 d21 suffered quite a bit of damage .. Insurance deemed a total loss.. I bought the RV back and they cut me a 3300$ check 100 more than I paid for it few years ago ...
Decided to fix roof is #1 priority .. I've decided that I would just like to run a rubber membrane roof over the old aluminum and elastomeric coated damaged one on there now.. Has anyone done this that could give me tips or point me in right direction.. Primarily if it will work the amount of prep needed and how to attach or trim for front section over drivers area..

Schmitti

Look in my restoration thread. Although I have the aluminum removed and replaced with plastic ersetztaber basically it's the same. The EPDM sheet Firestone is "welded" within one day with a special glue. The film I have front tucked under water bar ;)
Start here:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.100.html

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Rickf1985

You are making a LOT of work for yourself but if you want to do it right you have to get ALL of the elastomeric coating off of the old roof first or you risk it coming loose later. You will also see every little bump in the old coating come through on the rubber. Depending on how your current roof terminates on the sides you will need to get some sort of flashing to tie down the rubber membrane on the sides and on the front and back you will need the proper flashing also. Keep in mind that with rubber if you want to mount anything to the roof you have to use special adhesives and sealants to hold to the rubber without degrading the rubber. You do not have to worry about that with the metal roof. Your roof, your choice.

Rollingmenace

Well so far I'm just looking at options.. I thought rubber membrane would be a viable option.. I used some eternabond tape and elastomeric coating last go round and i was not impressed how the eternabond held up especially on the roof seam above the cab..  Right now I'm looking into options..

Rickf1985

Everything is about preparation. If the Eternbond did not hold up it was probably because of poor prep. I have Eternabond on mine that has been there for 6 years and is not showing ANY signs of coming up or any other problems. In any kind of adhesive based application the base surface has to be clean, clean, and even more clean. That goes for Eternabond, rubber or even elastomeric coatings.

cook elandan

The roof on my 89 is aluminum and the rear had corroded where the ladder and side railings attached. I am looking at putting RFP.  Can you believe that when the sun is out and you get on the roof you can fry an egg up there.  I put up a couple RFPs  and it is much cooler.  Go figure why it is hot in the RV with the aluminum roof.

Rollingmenace

Rick.
The prep work was done right . I only have a few areas that surface adhesion was slightly compromised.... The odd thing is where most issues arise the white backing is peeling off of the grey adhesive.. Kinda confusing there

TerryH

Maybe back it up a little. The white backing is on all of the applied tape. If it is peeling off in specific areas, tends to suggest that the base prep in those specific areas is not as adequate as the prep in the uncompromised areas.
As Rick said, and important for any similar situation, prep work is paramount.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rollingmenace

Thanks Terry I'm sure it had something to do with the prep..

I've done a bit of research and believe I've decided on a plan ..   After some discussion with the wife and thoughts of purchasing a brand new or 1-2 year old brave or itasca Classic. We have decided to reinvest the money into our old Winnie..
The plan is to start on the roof.. I'm going to pull all trim and remove aluminum roof  . Next cover existing thermopanel plywood with new 1/4 lauan plywood .. Still looking into possible bonding agents and fastener recomendations ..   Then a new epdm rubber membrane .I'll utilize all drip edge and existing corner trim to attach sides of epdm.. Only question will be how I'm going to transition from aluminum panel at top of eyebrow to new epdm membrane.. And I have a few ideas on that or if any of you guys have any ideas it would be appreciated

Rickf1985

Terry, I think he is saying the backing of the tape itself is coming apart, that would be a manufacturing defect. The Eternabond I have removed I can tell you that the white backing on NO way wanted to release from the grey adhesive!!!

Can you send us some pics of the transition areas front and back so we can get an idea of what you have now? I will dig up some pics of my slide in which transitioned from aluminum to rubber. it was a metal strip screwed down so it will have to be over a beam.

Rollingmenace

Will do Rick it may be a little time as I don't want to start pulling anything apart until I have all materials...

Rickf1985

Here is what is on the sides of my slide in to hold the rubber taught, the long edge is on top. This was before repairs hence all the goo.

Here is the finished transition from metal to rubber using the used rubber a while back. I am going to be tearing the whole roof off of this soon. That Eternabond has been on there for five years now and looks just as tight as it does in that pic.

Here is the transition strip from the metal to the rubber on top, it is actually the same as the sides. I forgot that. After I put it down I caulked the front and back edges of the strip and let that set up for a week and then put the Eternabond over it. I am actually using a different brand of tape but it is the same thing.