Brake peddle not returning to full pedal

Started by JerryP, September 02, 2016, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

The brakes work, the pedal does not return back to the top
can pull it back up with my foot,
Brakes seem to work fine. Takes a bit more effort.
Not sire what normal actually is, but it has always taken a little extra effort.

Rolls fine with the pedal stuck midway.
Where do I start looking.
Where is the proportioning valve??
I have not driven it much this year, Not sure, but I doubt I have moved it all summer.
Just took it for a stretch, and exercise, and noticed this pedal issue.
going to camp about 50 miles away this weekend.
It runs, but if I get bored, I thought I make poke around a bit.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

kennyrodgers

I've read that the pedal assembly,linkages and levers etc can dry up and cause this. They fitted a grease nipple or a zerk as you guys call it in later years but no idea if your coach has it.
Have a look at the linkages and see if you can grease it up some.
:)ThmbUp
J.F.D.I

87Itasca

Mine has started doing this too. The brakes stay on when the pedal stays down, until I pull it back up with my foot. Going to try and grease stuff and see if it helps, but if not, not really sure what is next.

Rickf1985

The Hydroboost can also cause this as the seals go bad in it.

HandyDan

While we are on the subject, what does the front reservoir on the master cylinder activate?  Does it go to the front or back brakes, or one front and one back?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Rickf1985

It will go to an end not cross and I believe it is the front. This is if we are talking about the reservoir farthest from the booster. On four wheel disc systems I have seen them plumbed both ways though so it is best to follow a line. On four wheel disc the reservoirs should both be the same size and the pistons are the same so the pressures coming out will be the same. Braking force differential is achieved by rotor and caliper size.  They did not start the cross systems until much later in the 90's and mostly on cars.

87Itasca

Hydroboost is a possibility, as it does take some effort to stop. Not really uncomfortable effort, but more than a regular vacuum boosted car, and certainly more than my '79 and '83 Lincoln Continentals, which have Hydroboost. I just chalked it up to it being so daggone heavy.

EldoradoBill

Possibly a faulty booster. My Ford pickup, when I first got it, had a length of rope tied to the pedal; you had to pull on it to release the brakes as the PO was too cheap and or lazy to replace the booster

Bill

Froggy1936

That is worthy of an entry into The Butcher repair Hall of fame !  W% Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

87Itasca

Oh yeah, no, it's not worth the risk. The problem comes and goes, but the pedal is always fairly stiff. Does your Chieftain have Hydroboost? If so, how does the pedal effort compare to other vehicles?  Mine is fairly stiff, requiring about double the effort of a regular car I'd say. Not tiring, but more effort that I'm used to.  I just chalked it up to having so much weight to stop, requiring more pressure throughout the whole brake system.

Rickf1985

I do have Hydroboost, I would not say it is more effort per say but you definitely know you are stopping more weight. I have hydroboost on my Dodge dually and the pedal is slow to return to the top. Slow enough that it throws a antilock code for driving with the brake pedal depressed. That is caused by the seals grabbing in the booster. I have the kit to rebuild it but have not gotten around to it since I need the truck right now. The brake pedal effort on that truck is about the same once the brakes dry out in the morning. They are very touchy for the first couple stops but I have high performance pads on the fronts and I also have rear drums so it is an unfair comparison.

JerryP

The pedal started working fine after taking a trip.
I suspect I need to replace the hydro boost unit, as the brakes have always taken a bit of pressure to stop.
As a lot of pressure has always been the case with my Chieftain, I never thought much about it.
I think I will take a closer look at it after camping season is over.
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Rickf1985

When you shut the engine off do you get at least two power applications of the brake before power goes away? If not the accumulator has failed and that may be what is causing your problems. Not user repairable. You will need to replace the unit.