Replacing generator

Started by jeno, August 22, 2016, 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeno

I'm having a terrible time trying to fix the onen generator that came with my Winnebago. My question is can I go out and buy another generator in place this one but haven't run the same way and hook up the same way so I can start on the dash just like the onen that was in her. If I can can anybody tell me what brands that will fit in that compartment??'

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tmsnyder

You want it in the compartment so that you can drive down the road with the generator running?  If so, that would have to be another RV generator I believe, b/c consumer grade generators (inexpensive) require clearances around them and generally don't come with the remote control wiring you would need.  They also need their oil changed on a regular basis, like every 24 hours of operating time vs. 250 hours on the Onan.  You could probably cob something together but it's more likely to burn your RV to the ground.  They are just not meant to be used that way.

A proper rv generator like a new onan is something like $3-4k.   That leaves a lot of repair services you could pay for to get your old one working before you would be better off buying a new one.

I think if I were you I'd stick with it and fix it, or pay to have it fixed b/c unless it's blown up or something, it's repairable.

What's wrong with it?

Quote from: jeno on August 22, 2016, 08:11 PM
I'm having a terrible time trying to fix the onen generator that came with my Winnebago. My question is can I go out and buy another generator in place this one but haven't run the same way and hook up the same way so I can start on the dash just like the onen that was in her. If I can can anybody tell me what brands that will fit in that compartment??'

jeno

You may be right, I think I may just looking for somebody having it repaired thank you

Surfinhurf

Onans are usually easily fixed and used running ones can be bought cheaply

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Check out the Onan forums.  VERY helpful guys

HURF

jeno

Thank you very much I am going to check into that.....😂

tmsnyder

What is it doing?  And what is the model number?

jeno

I'm not buy it right now to get the model number but it's in onen 4K W I believe it says on the generator problem is if you hold the button down it runs but when you let it go it shuts down. I was told once it was the board bought one from dinosaur electronic put that in it didn't help check the oil right up to where it should be. I tried troubleshooting that I found on this site but didn't understand it ..

tmsnyder

It's definitely worth fixing, whether you work through it slowly or find someone else to do it. 

For the oil, it's not just that the level has to be right, it's looking at the oil pressure switch to verify that the engine has oil pressure.  So the switch could be bad.  There's one terminal on it.  When there's no oil pressure that switch is open, so you'll have infinite resistance when you measure between the terminal and ground.  When you fire it up, you should see the resistance drop to 0 ohms (or close to it).   I doubt that's the problem but it's easy enough to check, b/c you're right, it will start but not keep running once the start button is released if there's no oil pressure (or if the oil pressure switch is bad).

tmsnyder

Here's a place to find Onan repair locations:
http://power.cummins.com/sales-service-locator

One is

HILLTOP RV & SPORTS CENTER2905 NORTH LINCOLN ROAD
ESCANABA, MI 49829

I don't know anything about them but it wouldn't hurt to call and feel them out about repairing your generator for you.  If they seem competent and reasonable maybe just have them fix it.

Or call Flight Systems and see what their tech people say about your generator if you want to try to fix it yourself, I've been real happy with them.  I think you'll figure it out.

khantroll

I agree with everyone else: if it will start, run, and produce power then it's worth fixing. In my case, the on board generator had a lot of problems. It leaked more oil then a car with it's main seal out, and there was something wrong with the fuel delivery system. So I made a deal for 5500w kohler genset from an 80s RV and wired it up (after cleaning and repairing the generator bay).

The kohler is overall slightly smaller then the onan it replaced, but I had to make mounts for it. The only really bad part of the job was having to put the heavy thing in, mark for the mounts, pull it back out, drill for the mounts, and the put the generator and mounts back in. The wiring component was easy.

tmsnyder

There are definitely some good looking, inexpensive rv generators on Craigslist.  That would be another option if the current one turns out to be an expensive repair.