Engine coolant leak inside coach

Started by FrankenHome, August 21, 2016, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankenHome

Hello Everybody.

It's Sunday and I'm just stalling before I start working on the ceiling of my 96 Itasca Sunrise so I thought I'd share another recent issue on our RV.

About 3 weeks ago we took our Sunrise on a 3000 mile trip to KC then to Branson, MO. When we got back we had a dark patch on the carpet where it meets the vinyl flooring. I just assumed something spilled in the galley and got on the carpet but after a close examination I found the spot wet and oily. I traced it to one of the 5/8" hose fittings under the sofa. I thought I had cleaned all the hose fittings when I did all the major engine work but I apparently missed this one. The hole in the pipe was right at the end of the heater hose so it didn't blow completely out but is was bad enough. I apologize for not being able to get better pictures but the fittings are in a tight spot.

To be clear, one of the pipes start in the engine compartment, comes out under the sofa, a hose connects it to the hot water heater on one side then loops back from the hot water heater to the adjoining pipe that goes back to the bedroom heater, connects to another pipe that goes all the way back to the engine compartment. Of course the hole was on the shorter pipe and I couldn't just push the heater hose past the damaged area and clamp it. So I cut away the carpet then drilled through plywood flooring to remove the material around the pipes.  I cleaned off all the rust and corrosion then patched it with JB Weld. After sanding the pipe fitting down smooth again I was now able to push the heater hose down well past the damaged section of the pipe. I then used the belt and suspenders approach and put one hose clamp just before the end of the hose and another hose clamp directly over the damaged area. No leak and this should last as long as I want to keep the 96 Itasca!

Just another day in the life of an old RV.

That's it for now.

John

BrianB

I was about to comment that I wouldn't trust JB Weld on an old pipe like that, but since you covered it with hose and a clamp you may be ok.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.