Has anyone tried to widen or extend the overhead bunk on a Brave?

Started by cj, June 26, 2016, 04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj

Hey there,

I'm the new owner of a 74 Brave D19. Yay! Hoping to camp in it for a couple of months over the summer and I'd like to use the overhead bunk as the main bed for two (pretty small) adults. Right now, I think it's only about 41" wide and I'd like it to be at least 48" or maybe 53". Has anyone done this? It seems like it shouldn't be impossible, right? Move the brackets, get some plywood, maybe put a support rail/lip around the passenger compartment? That's how the bunk in our old vw bus was supported. Please keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about with the Brave. Aside from driving it 1000 terrifying miles from Florida to Indianapolis when I picked it up, I haven't seen much of it. It's pretty much been in the shop since then. So I'm not fully sure how ridiculous this idea might be, bif anyone has done this or has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks! Great site.

GOWINIGO

Is your bunk a "scissor" type or hinge? Id say it's all good as long as your plywood doesn't bow under your weight.
:)

Trunkhill1

If you do extend it, just cut some bracers to run the crossways, glue and screw (short screws).  I've done this with my own bunks in my 166 trailer.

cj

Thanks! We're working on it.  The Brave was in shop for weeks getting some other stuff done so I asked a guy there to take a look at it, he likes old campers. He switched the mattress stay to the windshield side and added a 6 or 8 inch flip down extension for the bunk with a long steel hinge. It's cool and it's a good start, but I don't really need the extension to flip up and down because the mattress won't be able to anyway. And I'm kind of concerned about having that hinge on the side that you have to put all your weight on to climb into the bunk.  I will probably switch the extended side so that it will be the far side of the bed (close to dash) and/or add some bracing. Will post pics and update as we go along.

JessEm

cj

Ok, here's the update on the bed situation. It's done! We have about an 8" flip down extension. We bought a full size foam mattress from Ikea. It overhangs a little bit even when the extension is down, but it totally works. The main problem was that because the bed is heavier now we were worried about it crashing down on our heads while we're driving. We ended up installing a couple of barrel bolts on the ends of the bedframe to give it some support while we're in motion. We also rigged up some tarp straps with carabiners and eye-bolts that help secure the frame when the bed is stowed. We've been using it for about a week and it's totally comfortable ad doesn't move at all while driving. Now that we know that it works for us, we're going to put in some cross-bracing on the bed itself. And we need a step-ladder to get up and down better. So far though, this is a big win!!! 
New mattress in down position

Stowed away

Barrel bolt to steel frame, with extension folded up

cj

Curses! I'll have to figure out the pictures and try again later. I've got some in my album, just have to figure out how to put them in here. Sorry!