Dripping gate?

Started by mattyj858, July 25, 2016, 08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Hi guys,

Got around to checking my plumbing lines and Black tank (no grey tank on mine). Everything looked good but noticed a small drip coming off the gate handle after I filled the tanks to flush them. After draining the tank and closing the gate the water drip increased a bit and continued to drip even after the drive home from the dump station. To be clear it's not a rapid drip but enough of a drip that a ranger might call me out if I am at a state camp ground. I am new to tracing issues on plumbing, does anyone have advice on where to start chasing the drip and hopefully an easy fix?

Is it best to just replace the gate and move on? If so I am assuming I need to stick with the original 4" gate rather than using the standard 3 1/2"  (saw a source for the 4" on another thread)?
It is an easy task to replace? I am guessing its the original 73 gate (white gate with white pull).

Elandan2

The valve will definitely not get any better with time. The best and easiest solution is to replace the valve with a new one. Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

mattyj858

Hey guys decided to  just replace the wastegate. The one that is leaking is closest to  The waste hose fitting and it is an old white valve with a twist handle.  I just went to the nearest RV Center and they had a valtera blade X and a Brystol gate, but it looks like the hole patterns are slightly different size and the Valtera had a straight square shape while the Brystol had a curved in kind of shape where the mounting screws are. Do these valves have a universal bolt pattern or what fits best for a 73 Brave D20?

I also have a second valve closer to the tank assuming this is my grey water? This one seems glued in with no screws so don't want to mess with this one. I am thinking if I replace the one closest to the hose fitting I should get by?

The bolts are so inset into the plastic and rusted, that I am afraid I can't even get them off. Hopefully my drill will fit in enough to drill them out.

Elandan2

You probably have a Thetford valve.   http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Thetford-Valve-08669-p/vts-550.htm  Although they look similar to a Valterra valve, there is a slight difference. The Thetfords are pricey compared to Valterra valves.
If you are going to replace the whole thing, there is also another choice, Twis-Loc valves.
http://www.dupreeproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=21000-070
This valve has been in production since 1965 and we have been producing it since 2007. It is very simple to repair, the screws are located at the handle end of the valve. No messing with screws located around the waste pipe, simply remove the two screws and give the handle a sharp pull.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck