Screen door striker.

Started by DON, July 26, 2016, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DON

I have a 76 winnebago chieftain.  I am missing the "striker" part of the screen door.  I have the "slider" part on the door, but because the striker is missing, bugs can get in.  I looked on winnebago and saw the possible choices, but am not sure which one to get.  On amazon, there are choices also, but not sure which one.  The screen door has three screws still there for the striker, but not sure if original or modified at one time.  The size of the slider is approximately 9 by 9.  Has anyone had to go through this?  Thank you. 

JessEm

Are you talking about the piece that's shaped like the end of the slider?

A picture is worth 1000 words. :)

DON

Took picture, but do not know how to post.  This striker part apparantly screws into the screen door frame.  It would remain stationary.  The slider would open or close.  When closed, the striker part, I guess, would seal at the front of the slider to keep out bugs and such.  I am sure you know how they are supposed to work.  The striker part on mine is gone.  Do not know what it looked like new.  Thanks.

DON

I think you are right.  It is the end piece that meets the slider.  Mine was screwed in by three screws, but all that is left are the three screws. 

JessEm

They don't make that slider anymore, meaning no striker either.

Keep an eye out for someone parting out and eyebrow. A lot of those sliders have gone bad, meaning the seller shouldn't have a problem parting with just the striker (but if you do find a good slider, get it and I will buy it from you!)

Otherwise, I don't mind making one for you using mine as a template. It will be just as good as the original. I'll look into it tomorrow...

DON

Thanks.  Much appreciated.

JessEm

Hey DON,

I looked at mine again, then I looked at one on a spare door I have, and mine is not original. I never noticed this until now.

You can easily make one like mine yourself. It probably keeps out bugs better than the original. It's cut from belting material of some sort, but you could use almost anything. And it's about 1/8" thick, but again, thickness doesn't really matter. Here's a few photos of mine:

These pictures show why it's better than the original. You can see the big gap along the original where bugs can easily get through, broken area notwithstanding. (pic 2). The homemade one is tight, except for the rounded corners, where the PO could've done a better job of cutting the material to match the opening. I've never had a bug get through that I'm aware of.

DON

JessEm

Quote from: DON on July 28, 2016, 09:35 AM
Thanks again.

Anytime I can return the favor. This forum has been a great help to me.

DON