How to remove luggage/storage compartment doors?

Started by dickcarl, August 19, 2016, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickcarl

I've got an '88 Itasca 32'.  Trying to remove a compartment door to work on the genset.  There are two little rods embedded in the ends of the door that it pivots on.  Have tried removing the set screws, prying, and prayer.

Any ideas?
Mechanically challenged but willing to break, cross-thread or totally bugger up nearly ANY expensive component in the guise of repair.

dickcarl

Twenty-eight views and no suggestions -- I guess I'm not a dumb as I thought.
Mechanically challenged but willing to break, cross-thread or totally bugger up nearly ANY expensive component in the guise of repair.

BrianB

Maybe you can post a picture of what your cover looks like where you need to get it apart. I know on my 86 that the cover has tangs like a shelf bracket and a catch at the top. Sounds like your might be different.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Rickf1985

On any doors I have seen with pins like you describe the pins retract into the door in some manner. If that does not seem to be an option then look at the receiving end, there must be a way to remove it.

87Itasca

There are three 1/2" (I believe) nuts and bolts that hold each end of the door to the chassis of the vehicle. Simply undo these (make a mark of where they are, as they are adjustable), and the doors will come off. There is a little strap inside the door on each end that is riveted to the inner skin of the door (to keep them from hitting the ground when opened, on purpose, or by accident) that you will need to drill out and re-rivet. They are screwed on the other end to the upper corners of the compartment they are in, but if yours is like mine, there's no hope getting a screwdriver to loosen them. We have a rivet gun here at the shop, so it was easy to replace them.