Tailpipe hanger

Started by Rickf1985, July 16, 2016, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

What are you people using for a tailpipe hanger at the farthest point from the generator at the end of the pipe? Whatever I try in the way of automotive pipes just breaks off in short order do to the excessive movement from the generator. I do not want to limit the movement too much because then the pipe will break.

K/C and Pups

Rubber looks like a piece of conveyor belt material doubled up,
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

Rickf1985

That is pretty close to what I have, even tried more angle to lessen the load but it always breaks at the bend. So I drilled a new hole to eliminate the bend and that worked better but still broke eventually. I figure what I need is something with a lot more flex in the rubber.

normthenomad

The trick is since the generator is rubber mounted you're going to have to engineer a way to mount part of your exhaust to the generator then isolate the part that mounts to the frame. Alternative is just run it the way it is and repair as needed. flex pipe may be an option. The farther you are away from the source of the vibration the more extreme it's going to be. Maybe another mount like you have closer to the generator would help.
     Fought this battle many times with rubber mounted Harley engine/trans package and aftermarket exhaust.

Froggy1936

Rick what about making a welded on (to the pipe) Bracket with hooks on both ends and using late modle Jumbo O rings  To brackets welded or bolted to whatever ?  W% Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

I was thinking along those lines Frank, probably combined with a flex coupling. I have seen far to many broken exhaust pipes in gen-sets because of stress from the tailpipe either hanging and whipping around OR being clamped too tightly and then the motor bending and stressing the pipes. I use a Venturi which in itself is hard on the pipe. Those exhaust pipes are way to hard to replace anymore. As are the mufflers.

legomybago

Maybe your rubber engine mounts are toast and it's moving too much i??
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

The mounts seem to be alright although the entire cradle has been bent forward from when the previous over apparently backed into a depression and that was the first thing to hit the ground. That just made the generator real close to one end is all, didn't affect any of the parts.

tmsnyder

I added a muffler, previously it was just a L shaped piece of straight pipe. No wonder this 1990 rv had only 11 hours on the generator, who would want to listen to that?   Tried to use the existing hanger, similar to yours, but the steel gauge was too thin and the whole assembly would hit resonance and shake violently.  I was afraid it would break off at the motor.  I replaced it with a hanger with much thicker steel and movement went almost completely away.  It's still plenty flexible, just stiffer.