Running generator while underway

Started by normthenomad, July 15, 2016, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normthenomad

Am I able to run the generator while underway?

Rickf1985

Short answer? Yes. Longer answer, be sure the exhaust is vented so that it has no way to get inside the coach. usually out the side is best. If it is vented out the back it will get caught in the low pressure behind the coach and swirl around back there so if there are any openings from the back to the inside then that it could get inside. Long shot but have a CO detector in there and you will be warned if it does.

normthenomad

Thanks for prompt reply. Didn't want alternator and generator to battle over who was going to do what. AZ resident and would like to run rooftop air for 4 legged pardner.

Rickf1985

As long as the Aux switch is set to off or vehicle only then you have no worries. You do not want the vehicle alternator trying to charge the house batteries while the AC charger is also doing the same thing. That is a good point.

bluebird

DC systems can have multiple charging sources, without worry. Won't hurt a thing. Many newer coachs have a BIRD system. Those charge both batteries from both sources if the generator is running. Both the BIRD and the alternator will reduce the output depending on the voltage detected.   

Rickf1985

This is also true with battery chargers on a vehicle and you start the vehicle but in all the manuals for the RV's it says not to do it because it can cause alternator failure so that is the advice I give. Just in case. ;) D:oH!

tmsnyder

I thought this odd also, until the chassis A/C quit on our trip in 90F weather.   Then it became a new normal lol.   

An adjustable spring loaded shower curtain rod across the RV near the ceiling, and a dividing curtain kept most of the cold air up front where the passengers were.

Quote from: normthenomad on July 15, 2016, 05:12 PM
Am I able to run the generator while underway?