Replacing leaking kitchen faucet

Started by bnlfan, June 14, 2016, 10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

Below you will see a photo of my Chieftan kitchen faucet.  I need to replace it because it is leaking where the hot water attaches.  I think it is the actual connection verses the faucet.  But, I want a new style faucet just the same. 

Anyway, if you look at the bottom where the water lines attach, you will see that the base is tapered to fit into the beveled (think that is the right term) parts of the original factory lines.

All the faucets I find are flat like the style that goes in a stick home. 

What are my options? 

beaverman

Those should be 1/2" npt tube fittings, you can install a new home style faucet with adapters, will be doing the same on my 88 superchief in 2 weeks will post pics of the process

bnlfan

Quote from: beaverman on June 14, 2016, 11:05 PM
Those should be 1/2" npt tube fittings, you can install a new home style faucet with adapters, will be doing the same on my 88 superchief in 2 weeks will post pics of the process

If you don't mind.  The adapters?  Is this a specialty item or will the folks at Lowes know what I am asking for? 

All I find when I do an online search for house faucet to rv faucet adapter, is the adapter you screw into the output of the faucet to winterize your rv.  Or a water thief for the outside of the rv.

beaverman

You'll probably have to go to a real hardware or plumbing supply, take both faucets with you and tell them what your trying to do, I needed to extend the toilet water supply on my new toilet (1/2" NPT tube fittings), went to home despot and could not find anything that would work, even had their plumbing pro ( who was a retired plumber and a RV owner) take a look and first thing he said when I told him what I was doing was to forget it and go to a plumbing supply house, lucky for me we still have a few real hardware stores here in the Seattle area McClendons their guy said sure right this way, was in and out in 10 mins! good luck with the search!

All I find when I do an online search for house faucet to rv faucet adapter, is the adapter you screw into the output of the faucet to winterize your rv.  Or a water thief for the outside of the rv

None of the above,

BrianB

Quote from: bnlfan on June 14, 2016, 10:12 PM
What are my options?

I just replaced mine this weekend. What you do is pull those gray plastic pieces out (carefully). Apply a little silicone caulk on the shank, and insert them into the new faucet. Then attach your lines.

BTW - I used a 4" laundry faucet from Lowes ($29.95) and it is a perfect replacement. Looks exactly like the original. Remember - Winnebago didn't have these things custom made.

You do the exact same thing for the bathroom faucet. I got mine from the same big box for $19.95.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Rickf1985

Brian, you would be surprised at just how many things Winnebago DID have custom made!!!

bnlfan

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 15, 2016, 07:03 PM
Brian, you would be surprised at just how many things Winnebago DID have custom made!!!

I left the vent open in the bathroom and it came off.  I priced the replacement lid.  Because Winnebago set it up backwards on the crank, I was going to have to order theirs.  Not cheap.  So, I got a campco vent cover and mounted it last weekend.  Less than $20. and I get the air all the time without the chance of rain.

bnlfan

Quote from: beaverman on June 15, 2016, 06:54 PM
You'll probably have to go to a real hardware or plumbing supply, take both faucets with you and tell them what your trying to do,

That sir, is exactly what I will do.  Think I may just remove it all tonight, and load it up in the truck.

I'll try to take photos as I do the removal of the shower faucet.

Rickf1985

You get a good wind blowing towards the opening of that vent in the rain and you will get wet, I found that out with the one in the bed room. ???

bnlfan

Aww, come on Rick.  I was feeling pretty good about my choice....for once I thought being a cheap #$$#@ was worth it.

hahahaha

Froggy1936

I replaced both the kitchen and the bath room sink with standard kitchen single handle faucets from Home Depot I don't remember any unsurmountable problems   I also have a valve mounted on the side of the bathroom sink hooked into the hot water line and dumping into the fresh water tank vent line , This allows me to run hot water for 5 6 sec and not waste any water or add to grey So I have instant hot water in the bath !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Quote from: bnlfan on June 15, 2016, 07:24 PM
Aww, come on Rick.  I was feeling pretty good about my choice....for once I thought being a cheap #$$#@ was worth it.

hahahaha

I didn't say it was a bad choice but if you have no lid and just a vent cover you could get wet. Yes, those Winnebago covers are about 60.00, I had to get one.

sasktrini

Quote from: Froggy1936 on June 15, 2016, 07:43 PM
I replaced both the kitchen and the bath room sink with standard kitchen single handle faucets from Home Depot I don't remember any unsurmountable problems   I also have a valve mounted on the side of the bathroom sink hooked into the hot water line and dumping into the fresh water tank vent line , This allows me to run hot water for 5 6 sec and not waste any water or add to grey So I have instant hot water in the bath !  Frank

That's a great idea!  Nice!
Corey aka sasktrini