Lucas Transmission Fix any Good????

Started by stopngo, May 31, 2016, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopngo

Leaking Seals.........Should I use it?? Has anybody used it?

Thanks

Rickf1985

It works by swelling up the seals, great if you going to be selling the vehicle soon and you don't want it dripping for the sale. Not so great if you plan on keeping it since it swells up ALL of the seals. This is not a permanent solution because with the swelling of the seals comes softening of the seals and inevitable failure of the seals. This goes for all of the seals affected, the ones that were leaking AND the ones that were not.

Personally I do not recommend it.

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

A second opinion, It also changes the lubricosity of the fluid for clutch engagement (improved ) Less slip more positive engagement Without any wear increase in wear items  As far as the swelling it is a limited process They do not continue to swell forever !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Quote from: Froggy1936 on June 01, 2016, 11:27 AM
A second opinion, It also changes the lubricosity of the fluid for clutch engagement (improved ) Less slip more positive engagement Without any wear increase in wear items  As far as the swelling it is a limited process They do not continue to swell forever !  Frank

I don't know if that is a yea or nae?  Hm? :D

M & J

M & J

Froggy1936

I put it in my 4L80E when I filled it after rebuild Its a Yea ! I also use STP in the engine 100 miles after oil change with Castrol Syntec 10 W 30 !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

stopngo

Very interesting........Thanks Y'all 

It appears for the moment the leak stopped all by itself. Ya I know its confusing.

Here is the the story.

The very first time I saw it leaking (never ever before nor ever low on fluid) was about 4 weeks ago after I picked up the Winnebago
from the repair shop where they completely re did the head gaskets.

The next day there was a good size puddle of atf on the driveway and this leakage continued for about 2 weeks until it finally stopped
presumably because it was low enough on fluid.

Yesterday I took it for a short run and checked the fluid and it showed down 2 quarts.

I then went home and parked it in the same position and dumped 2 quarts of fluid into the tranny expecting the leak to reappear which it did not............ 

Any ideas about this mystery?? :confused:

Rickf1985

Transmission fluid has magic properties I swear. I had the pressure control solenoid go bad on my Dodge dually so I had to drop the pan to replace it. Now I built this trans a coule years ago and filled it with Castrol synthetic ATF. Right to the mark. Now it was showing like 2 d
quarts over? OK, I have a 7 gallon suction/pressure container for draining things through the fill tube, very handy for transmissions to keep from getting the transmission fluid bath. Plus my fluid was perfectly clean so it was going right back in. Sucked it out, dropped the pan and replaced the parts and put the pan back up and put the same fluid back in. Now remember, it was 2 quarts overfull. Started it up and checked it and it was right on the money. Ok, it is still cold and there is a minute amount left in the container. Took it for a ride and warmed it up an still right on the money, Perfect. Two day later I go out and when I put it is reverse it moves, stops, bangs in gear. Check fluid and it is a quart low, which should not cause that issue but reverse uses a lot of fluid so I add a quart. Go for a ride and check it and it is half a quart low but I leave it alone. couple days later after a ride I check it and way over full and aerated? I am at a loss right now but as long as it runs good I am leaving it alone.

stopngo

Magic Properties.......I'll say Hm?

BrandonMc

its helped my aging transmission on a toyota keep from slipping from 1st to second. I didn't use it for the seals, and about half the bottle only.