First ever camp-out this weekend!

Started by 87Itasca, May 09, 2016, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

This will be my first time ever camping out in my RV this upcoming weekend. I've got all my systems operational (save for the fridge), and hope it will be a good time.

My thoughts for the fridge were to buy two 10 pound blocks of dry ice, one for the freezer, one for the fridge and over the course of the weekend, it should stay cold enough for drinks and stuff. Would like to make bacon and eggs on Sunday, but I can always stop and grab breakfast.

Not venturing too far, there's a local raceway about 15 minutes from the house with RV hookups. Figure if anything goes wrong, then I won't have terribly far to get a tow or a ride home.  :D

Any advice or tips? I've got my extension cord should I need it, and two lengths of water hose. Should they not have water, my LP and water tanks are nearly full. Can't imagine I'll go through 80 gallons in a weekend. I'll make sure my tires are aired up (new set, replaced in Feb.) and fluids and such are good before I go. I'll make sure my batteries are good too, since the charging section of my converter is apparently burned out (grr....)

legomybago

You might be better off using a camping cooler vs the non functional fridge, I personally wouldn't want melting ice dripping out of the fridge.....You'd be surprised how fast 80 gallons of water gets used!! We are very wasteful of water. Have fun!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

Lego, you missed he said Dry ice  No dripping, I can make my 40 gallon tank of water last a full week just being very carefull of all water useage, And I do not use it for drinking I carry bottled water for coffee etc The tank water is for washing dishes and face The largest use is flushing !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

The dry ice is a good idea but I think you are going to find it will sublimate very quickly in a fridge that is wide open when it is open as opposed to a cooler that when open is only open at the top so the cold air remains in the bottom. At least keep your frozen stuff in a cooler and if the fridge ice craps out you will have the cooler a backup.

And keep the dry ice wrapped in paper, it will last longer that way.

87Itasca

I have an icemaker between my two lounge chairs that I use as a mini-fridge for now. It is likely low on freon. It is turned all the way to Cold, and gets cold enough to refrigerate stuff, but never to store ice. I'm not that upset about it. An icemaker isn't a necessity, but a fridge sort of is.

perlgurl

My fridge doesn't work either and for my upcoming weekend trips I'm planning on taking a empty gallon jug of water, filling it about 3/4 full and freezing it at home then putting the jug in the fridge.  It's a trick I used for camping with a cooler and should work just find with the non-functional fridge.  No dripping, plus the huge block will keep the fridge contents cold for a weekend. 

M & J

I thought we got your fridge working after the propane got sorted?  i??
M & J

perlgurl

Quote from: M & J on May 10, 2016, 12:37 PM
I thought we got your fridge working after the propane got sorted?  i??

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll see if I have one to update or create a new one :(

LJ-TJ

Well I was in a similar situation. Going to the race track. Perlgurl's right on the money. I froze a couple of 2Lt Coke bottles and put them in the fridge and then a few more and put them in a regular camp cooler. It kept the bacon and eggs just fine along with a 24 of beer. Oh! and milk. As long as your not going in and out every second you'd be fine.

87Itasca

Hi M&J,
Yep, the fridge now turns on and fires just like it should!

Unfortunately there is a bad leak in the coils, and after letting the RV sit for a day, I was knocked off my feet (literally) by ammonia gas when I stepped inside.

See here for details:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,12516.0.html

M & J

Actually, that was for perlgurl. I remember your near death experience.
M & J

87Itasca

Everything went really well!

Decided to go with the frozen gallon water jugs vs. dry ice, and they did OK over the weekend. Kept it cold, but probably not cold enough.

So, I kept my meats and stuff in the icemaker, which didn't really get cold enough to freeze anything, or so I thought,  :)rotflmao

Popped it open Sunday AM and everything was frozen solid, so that has fixed itself apparently :D

The shower worked great, hot water heater fired up with no problems, and the A/C units worked.  The front unit still takes a couple times to come on when first powered up, or occasionally when cycled, and the "LOW POWER" light still comes on. Hopefully a hard start kit will fix it, I plan on checking it with my multimeter before I unhook from the campsite today to see what my voltages are and compare them to when I am using the 15A adapter in case the issues lies somewhere else. The Microwave oven works just fine, did a great job of heating up my Beefaroni. :D

All in all I was quite happy. It's been quite a project, but it's so nice to get away and have a (not so) little home away from home. :)

M & J

M & J

legomybago

QuoteAll in all I was quite happy. It's been quite a project, but it's so nice to get away and have a (not so) little home away from home. :)

Yeah, their is nothing little about that rig....Feel like a train rolling down the road!!

87Itasca

Quote from: legomybago on May 16, 2016, 12:56 PM

Yeah, their is nothing little about that rig....Feel like a train rolling down the road!!

Absolutely. It was the biggest one there by nearly a car length, haha!

By the way, love the username. I actually liked it so much, I made it my license plate!

legomybago

I cant see the pic? no fare....Oh I see it now!! Awesome!  :)clap