remodeling dodge coachman

Started by budder, May 01, 2016, 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budder

Hi rick it's been a long time since I've been on here. Winter is the busiest time of year for me. Plus we had a new addition to the family a little girl called skyla.
I was thinking of using a hei distributor but which one is the best for around $150ish.

Rickf1985

Quote from: budder on February 26, 2017, 11:40 AM
Hi rick it's been a long time since I've been on here. Winter is the busiest time of year for me. Plus we had a new addition to the family a little girl called skyla.
I was thinking of using a hei distributor but which one is the best for around $150ish.

Here is a link to look through for an HEI distributor, I think that is a better way to go than all of the associated hardware that can go bad with the Dodge system. With the HEI all of the parts are readily available in any parts store, even over there I am sure.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dodge+hei+distributor&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177561687283&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13691471200479511109&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003783&hvtargid=kwd-16982898268&ref=pd_sl_5i0nth72fo_e

LJ-TJ

Hey Rick, just picked up an Edelbrock  Four Barrel Cab 1411 a 2650 to replace my Thermoquat. Do I need a new gasket or a plate or something before I bolt it on. ????????????What do you think of the carb swap. Hm?

Rickf1985

Quote from: LJ-TJ on February 28, 2017, 09:55 AM
Hey Rick, just picked up an Edelbrock  Four Barrel Cab 1411 a 2650 to replace my Thermoquat. Do I need a new gasket or a plate or something before I bolt it on. ??? ??? ??? ???What do you think of the carb swap. Hm?

Welllllllll, I think you jumped Budders thread but I will answer this question, I think the carb is and excellent choice, I have no idea what a 2650 is and you will need a spread bore to square bore adapter plate and the corresponding gaskets which may come with it. Send me an e-mail.

LJ-TJ

budder

Don't worry We are all idiot's on here. W%

budder

So I got home early today so I spent a hour on the old dodge.

budder

Well the weather was like a summers day today.
I've taken more of the engine ready for removal.
Just a few more wires and unbolt the gearbox then it should be ready to come out.

budder

This is one of the reasons the engine has to come out.
A bodge job on the firewall with glas fibre.

budder

Well the rain held off. I've managed to get all of the front suspension and steering parts of. All that is left is to unbolt the gearbox engine mounts and exhaust.

stanDman111

A for effort , mighty intensive job = keep up the good work

LJ-TJ

Amazing, absolutely amazing. WOW! Hang in there. Oh...............the toilet paper. I meant to ask. Was that for the moment when you looked at the project and what you have done and  went Ooooooh shoot. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao   

tmsnyder

I thought those were tissues on a roll?

budder

Quote from: LJ-TJ on March 19, 2017, 05:20 PM
Amazing, absolutely amazing. WOW! Hang in there. Oh...............the toilet paper. I meant to ask. Was that for the moment when you looked at the project and what you have done and  went Ooooooh shoot. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
That's not toilet paper its paper towel but it can be used as both. ???

stanDman111

Winnebago Warrior 94

Your getting after it ..way to go ..I had a 76 Shasta travel trailer we peeled back the aluminum and refrained the front end but nothing this major

budder

Yeah engine is out.
And apart. ;)

budder

Rick whats the best manifold to use with this dodge 440.
It does not seem right to have a big nut sticking up in the manifold N:( .

stanDman111

Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold# 2191 Edelbrock Performer intake manifold are low-rise, dual-plane designs with patented runner tuning and a 180 degree firing order that you won't find with the competition. This combination boosts torque over a wide rpm range, from idle to 5,500 rpm. These manifolds also deliver improved throttle response over stock intakes and are available in both EGR and non-EGR style.  my opinion

budder

Yep that sounds like the kiddie. I will have to see the best place to buy one. Hm?

Rickf1985

That would be my choice. And since you have it so far apart I suggest the Performer RV cam and lifters to go with it. That is a great combo for bottom end power, which is what you need for a heavy vehicle. It is not for high end RPM but up to around 4500 RPM it will pull like a tank. Someone else on here just did this and mentioned they advanced the cam by 5 degrees and gained even more bottom end. Something I would definitely consult with Edelbrock about.

budder

Something like this rick.
MAHLE/CLEVITE ]Hydraulic Camshaft; MONACO MPG PERFORMER CHECK SPRINGS FOR COIL BINDING .420" VLV LIFT, INT .443" VLV LIFT, EXH 112 DEG LOBE SPREAD 204 DEG INT DURATION 214 DEG EXH DURATION

budder

Or there is this one from summit.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k6400
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 288/298, Lift .444/.466, Chrysler, Big Block, Kit.

Rickf1985

I would only use the Edelbrock cam with the Edelbrock manifold since they were engineered to work together and they do work together very well. Many times it has been proven that one cam with someone elses manifold will not work as well.

stanDman111

I'm with rick on this one, cant beat the engineering