remodeling dodge coachman

Started by budder, May 01, 2016, 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

I used the Edelbrock performer intake on my 440 but called up comp cams and gave them the specs on the engine and vehicle.  They sent me a 21-221-4 cam.  They said to not advance it with the timing gear set.  I ran it at normal position for a couple of years as they instructed then pulled the cover and advanced it 5 degrees.  It made a HUGE difference.  Advance it.  It moves the power down lower in the RPM range, right where we need it.  I also used Thorley long tube headers which stopped the cooking of the VC gaskets and helped it breath that much better.  I installed a MSD ignition, but did not notice much difference.  If yours has the Dodge electronic ignition, it is good, so run it.

The biggest bang for the buck, hands down, is fuel injection.  I used the Powerjection III, but I do not think they are making it any more.  Buy one from Edelbrock.  You have so much time and $$ into her, dont stop now.  Fuel injection will make it run like a new car.  Turn key and go.  Better mileage and vastly improved driveablility.

Rickf1985

I would be interested to see the cam cards for both the Edelbrock and Comp cams and compare the specs. Especially the lobe center and valve timing specs. I would be curious to see if Edelbrock engineered the advance into their cam. That is what you have to be careful of when using different brands. They all have their own ideas on how and where to make power.

Sasquatch

Rickf1985

Impressive specs and very close to the Edelbrock, Here is the short version of the Performer plus.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/camshafts/chrysler-bb.shtml

And here is a link with a LOT of very good info to help you make wise decisions regardless of whose parts you use. Especially take note of the CFM calculations for carburetor sizing. This is something people have done wrong for many years is use too big of a carburetor.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/tech-discussion.shtml

Add this one to the brain teasers, Lobe separation. Closer is better...............up to a point. Around 108 you will sound like a race motor with no idle vacuum even with an RV cam so 110-112 is a very good place to be.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/cam-timing-lobe-separation-angle.aspx

Froggy1936

Administrator Att:  These cam & carb specs need included with  MPG or performance page There is a wealth of info here for both  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

There's even a lot more tech data covering tires, suspension, aerodynamics, etc. which could be included which affects gas mileage.  If anyone wants to, they can add a topic and include the links on the Misc board and have the title include its relevance to mpg.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

budder

Thanks guys for all of the info on cams and inlets before I buy any stuff I will sit down and do alot of research.
Well I've stripped abit more stuff from the engine bay.

budder

Cut some of the rust :'( D:oH! .

budder

I also managed to clean and paint spray a few parts this weekend. :)clap

budder

stanDman111

Froggy1936

Sorry Mark I thought you had some help with that stuff   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

budder

I'm trying to decide what front shocks to buy would my front axle be a 4000lb or not?. Hm?

budder

Well I'm back been busy at work.
I've managed to do a little to the body work.
All rust and fibreglass cut out and welded.

budder

Here's the pieces of fibreglass I pulled off.
#bodgejob.

budder

The bulk head has been cut out and welded up and filled in just need to sand now.

stanDman111

Rickf1985

Do a whole lot of insuating with Dynamat or similar while you have  it totally stripped out and you can get to all of that body area you will not be able to access later. It will be so much quieter down the road.

Gearhead88

X2 On the sound deadening suggestion.

demon

wow ! and ive been whining about replacing my roof! I have a question I didnt see the answer to ... What did you glue the aluminum for the roof down to the wood with?

budder

Sorry for the late reply life has been hectic these last few months I used bond it gb pro to bond the alloy to the rv.

budder

I've been busy the last few nice rebuilding the engine.
I have a question with the cylinder heads and the inlet manifold what is the half moon shape above the egr port on the head and is it. Supposed to be open like this? Hm?

budder

That's the engine back together. First coat of paint.

Schmitti

Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Rickf1985

Hey Thomas, Glad to see you are still hanging around!