Giving the beast a treat

Started by Rickf1985, April 30, 2016, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I picked this up from my neighbor who has had it in his closet in his garage since ,04.  Will be putting it on while waiting for rain to stop.

M & J

12 year old NOS? Wonder if any of the gaskets have cracked or dried out?
M & J

Froggy1936

Beautiful  In my opinion the Quadrajet design is the very best carbuerator ever built you can drive all day on 2 small barrels and get fantastic MPG.  or you can put your foot in it and have maximum power @ 6 MPG  Your choice !  :D Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Quote from: M & J on April 30, 2016, 07:38 PM
12 year old NOS? Wonder if any of the gaskets have cracked or dried out?

I doubt it since it has never had gas in it so no solvents to dry out. The accelerator pmp would be the only issue and I have several Quadrajet kits laying around I could get one out of.
Frank, these were the most misunderstood carbs around, people hated them at the racetrack. I showed up at the track in a 64 Impala and turned an 11.2 at 129MPH with a Quadrajet. The heads were turning big time. That car got around ten MPG at the time and it was a very highly modified 327.
Yea, if you are into those secondaries to much the mileage can get a lot lower than 6! W%

cncsparky

Rick, is that a remanufactured QJ by Edelbrock or all new?  How do you know if it has the right jetting, etc for your application?
-Tom

Rickf1985

That is new manufactured by them back when they were doing it. And the application is big block Chevy P/N 1906. I called them and told them the application and they said it was set up perfect for that. They sent them out set up for stock motors unless otherwise specified and my buddy specified it for his stock big block. I can change it as need if I am not happy with it but I think it will be fine. I will take my jet kit with me on my trip just in case I need to tweak it on the way.
Just in case you are curious and ever find one.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/1000/1904.pdf