Onan-Repair or not to repair?...that is the question

Started by Jonbbrew, April 25, 2016, 01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonbbrew

So, my Onan gen has never worked since I bought my 73 Indian. Before I dig too much time and money into it, I just wanted to know, is it worth it?

Better to buy a new quieter seperate one? Ditch the built in?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

M & J

You need to tell us specifics on why it's not working. What have you tried? What's is doing or not doing? Have you searched the forums for what others have tried or done based on symptoms?
Some have fixed - some have replaced.
M & J

Surfinhurf

Onans are great generators.  They will run forever if maintained.  The 4.0 BFA in my '77 Brave needed some attention so I pulled it.  After spending a Saturday cleaning the carb, heads, valves, and replacing the plugs it runs great.  I never put it back in.  We didn't use it much and I needed the outside storage compartment space more.  It holds a little Webber grill, charcoal, lighter fluid,rope lighting and a small Honda 2000 generator.

HURF

khantroll

I replaced mine, but it was more a factor of convenience then anything else. I had a higher output genset handy that was ready to go, and at the time I wasn't sure about getting rebuild parts for the older engine. At some point I hope to tackle refurbing it, but's definitely on the back burner.

Jonbbrew

Well got it started for a moment when i found this little valve. Now it wont restart after about 2 minutes. Tried pulling from a jar but wont.

-Anyone have a manual for a Onan 4.0 CCk-1r generator?
-Anyone know if there is a an auto shut off if the Aux fuel tank is so low?
-Anyone know what this lever is for?

Thanks!
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

M & J

Most RVs keep the genny siphon in the main tank off the bottom so you'll have some fuel left to drive. Do you have more than 1/4 of a tank of gas?
Does this coach have a separate tank for the genny or does it pull from the main tank?

Access to the manuals are for full members only.
M & J

Rickf1985

That is a fuel shut off valve. Clockwise is off and counterclockwise is on. It almost sounds like that is turned off and it started and ran out what was in the carb and now there is not gas. See if that valve is open and also be sure you have at least a half tank of gas.

Jonbbrew

Thanks, I think the gas was bad. I cleaned out the glass bowl, but now the seal wont seal. Hard as a rock.

Where do i get parts for these old beasts?

Also pulled the plugs...Spark ok, but gap was way too big. Plugs look fairly new. less that 200 hours on the gen at all if the meter is original.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

M & J

Auto parts stores sell gasket making material. If the old gasket comes out trace around it and use an exacto knife to cut out. If the old gasket disintegrates or is unusable use the glass bowl as a guide. Be sure to get all the old gasket out so the new seals well.
M & J

LJ-TJ

Or a lot of lawnmower, small engine  repair places will have a replacement for it.

legomybago

Not sure if you can even buy those gaskets.....If you can buy, in order to just get the fuel bowl gasket, you have to buy the entire carb rebuild kit for around 80.00!! Ridiculous...Both my Onans had fuel bowl leaks....Been down this road.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

He is talking about the glass bowl on the fuel filter. W% W% W%

legomybago

Today has been my day.....Maybe I'm getting dyslexic or something
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Jonbbrew

Quote from: M & J on May 09, 2016, 07:07 AM
Auto parts stores sell gasket making material. If the old gasket comes out trace around it and use an exacto knife to cut out. If the old gasket disintegrates or is unusable use the glass bowl as a guide. Be sure to get all the old gasket out so the new seals well.

Yep exactly...I went down to Napa, always awesome folks, and they gave me some cork fuel resistant material to cut out. Had guests over tonight, so that will be another night but i am excited to get this thing running.

PS...What to do with 10 plus gallons of old fuel as i drain the aux fuel tank the gen runs off? Not sure i can burn that much in a fire pit and get away with it.  W%
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

M & J

Filter it and use it in your lawn mower if it's not more than a couple years old.
M & J

Rickf1985

As long as it still smells like like good gas, if it smells like varnish send it to the recycle place.  That stuff will stick valves and cause a lot of damage, even on a lawnmower.

Jonbbrew

Well,

Spent some more time with the old gen...Old but less than 200 hrs on it since 73'...anyhow went to replace the old fuel filter/water bowl seal as i mentioned it fell apart when i went to clean it. Anyway a few pictures of this simple process...

New seal, temp clean fuel source...a quick crank...and up an purring...Checked the outlets after turning on some breakers...and....POWER! Stoked! Im not sure if a 4K can run the AC though....seemed to bog down when i tried to kick that on. AC didnt seem full speed. Maybe too much to ask after so many years.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

Jonbbrew

Still looking for knowledge or source for how and what to replace the heat and sound insulator material. Mine is black and probably a little too much fuel and oil soaked from all these years.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck