Is there supposed to be a "rubber" seal in the folat valve ? Onan BFA 4.0

Started by John.0, April 24, 2016, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John.0

Is there supposed to be a "rubber" seal in the float valve on an Onan BFA 4.0's carburetor?
When I pulled the needle it had a rubber seal stuck to it,is this a seat that is supposed to be in there.If so what are the chances of it staying put and not attaching itself to the needle again.Also the ends are different and I don't remember which way it came out,does the groove face the needle or...?

Rickf1985

That is the seat and it is supposed to be in a recess up in the carb. It has dried out and fallen out. It is not going to work that way. The best way to fix the situation is to rebuild the carb and replace the seat. I am not sure if you can get one for that carb. If not you will need to find some sort of gasoline and alcohol resistant adhesive and VERY CAREFULLY coat the outside of the seat and get it back up in the recess where it belongs. I am not sure which way the seat fits up there but it you look very closely at it with a magnifying glass you might see that the taper from the needle is embedded in one end.

John.0

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 24, 2016, 06:41 PM
That is the seat and it is supposed to be in a recess up in the carb. It has dried out and fallen out. It is not going to work that way. The best way to fix the situation is to rebuild the carb and replace the seat. I am not sure if you can get one for that carb. If not you will need to find some sort of gasoline and alcohol resistant adhesive and VERY CAREFULLY coat the outside of the seat and get it back up in the recess where it belongs. I am not sure which way the seat fits up there but it you look very closely at it with a magnifying glass you might see that the taper from the needle is embedded in one end.

Thanks Rick.It doesn't seem to be dried out,it's still very pliable and resilient .I put it back in,it was a tight fit but so far the engine has been doing ok.I tore the engine down because it was pumping but not getting any gas through the carb.I figured it would be filled with crap but it was very clean, only the needle was jammed shut.For some reason the float had zero play and was actually tight against the needle and it was forced into the seat..I have no idea why it was like this but it is properly set now.

I looked around online and it looks like there are some basic rebuild kits for this carb (or carbs similar) that appear to have the seat included.I'll try to get ahold of someone at Walbro tomorrow and find out forsure if they have anything that will fit and hopefully get it replaced.

M & J

Depending on the spec, they no longer make a rebuild kit for those carbs. Unless Ranger Rick has them. In that case I could use one. They do sell a replacement carb that drops in for $200.
M & J

John.0

Quote from: M & J on April 24, 2016, 07:37 PM
Depending on the spec, they no longer make a rebuild kit for those carbs. Unless Ranger Rick has them. In that case I could use one. They do sell a replacement carb that drops in for $200.

I would figure something out before I dropped the $200 on a replacement,especially if it was something as simple as a rubber seat.

Searching I see different kits for Walbro LUA carbs,not sure my specific model though.I'll find something out if I can get ahold of someone at Walbro tomorrow.

Rickf1985

As long as the seat is a tight fit you are probably alright. the needle was probably glue into it with dried varnish from evaporated gasoline. It should work alright as long as the seat stays in it's hole.