Muffler Update 77 Mini Winnie

Started by Froggy1936, April 16, 2016, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

Muffler update From Cherry bombs 16 in In length to Super turbo Dyno,s 24 in body Problems that have arisen The 2 1/2 in exaust pipes are not round but slightly oval by .080 thousandths I have pipe spreaders but there is no shrinkers  I am using C clamps to try to repair But had to remove ex pipe all the way to the headers Because hammering on the new mufflers might destroy the headers Started on the right side And that is the side with the oxygen sensor more problems Nothing is ever easy anymore !   $@!#@! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

joanfenn

Rickf1985

If you have the pipe off just clamp it in a vice to bring it back round again. the expander will bring it round, just don't force it. What I do is tighten the expander with a wrench and tap on the high points till it loosens a bit, tighten a bit, tap a bit. then try the muffler.

M & J

I think he is trying to make it smaller Rick.
M & J

Rickf1985

He is trying to make them round. To make them smaller you have to heat them red and quickly cool them. That will shrink them a little Then you would have to heat it again and let it cool naturally to take the hardness out of it. Problem with that whole scenario is that it will cause te pipe to rust faster. Easiest way is to replace the pipe if it is straight.

Froggy1936

Well using the C clamp I was able to get it round enough to slip the muffler on 3 in . Wile I had the  pipe in the vise I was able to re do the CO sensor bung braze job ( original done with pipe installed) Was not optimal position for brazing. Also welded the pipe to the collector collar As the muffler clamp never did a good job . Well pipe and trans heat shield are back on the R/S Tomorrow reinstall the tail pipe.  :)ThmbUp Frank

M & J

Round it was Rick.

Nice job Frank.
M & J

Froggy1936

Well R/S tail pipe is on, With a little more clearance at the fuel tank than before , Had to repair the heat shield for the rear air bag 1 tab snapped off in the movement . Now for the L/S also had to remove everything up to the header Also welded the collector to the pipe , Muffler on, Now the tail pipe is 3 in short so I have to make an adaptor wich worked out good because both pipes are 2 1/2 in dia  The C clamps work very well , one more day should do it  5 days so far my work day is only 4 hrs long  Frank

Froggy1936

DONE !!  Still not silent but the loud bark is gone , About where I wanted it in the first place, Added 100 lb of air to the rear air bags raised the body another 6 in I was able to remove the L/S tail pipe (with the wheels on the ground) and move to the vise to install  the adaptor pipe. A lot easier working on the bench Than under the Veh. Now to Lube Chassis Change oil/ filter Close all the drains Fill the water system Rearrange the interior And get started on This Summers Adventure  :)clap :)clap :)clap  Frank 

Froggy1936

Just a little update, I am very pleased with the sound (makes it all worthwile) Now everyone is not turning heads when I go by And passing LEO,s No longer causes a second look !  No leaks or rattles , Winnie is doing better than me Ha Ha !  Frank