Constant Duty Battery Solenoid Reference

Started by DaveVA78Chieftain, November 30, 2008, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 4/25/2006

Here is a reference to the Constant Duty Solenoid used to connect the chassis and house batteries together.  3 terminal is for a grounded mounting (used by almost all of the 70's era Winnies).  4 terminal is for mounting on wood or fiberglass.  There is a link on the page to a wiring diagram for each type.  This is the relay activated by the MOM switch.  For late 70's model winnies, you may also find one of these relays used for the dash heater.  The wire from the Dodge fuse box heater terminal is feed to the coil terminal of this type of relay.   These relays typically run less than 20$ at an RV store.

There are 3 terminal (shown) and 4 terminal Constant Duty Solenoids.  Winnebago typically used the 3 terminal version.  You have to search the net for a battery Isolator when searching for a new solenoid.
3 terminal types use the mounting brackets as the return path for the relay coil.
4 terminal types have both a positive and negative post for the relay coil.  Allows mounting to a wood or plastic surface.
You cannot use a starter relay like used on older model Fords.  The relay coils are not built to have constant current flowing through them.  You have to have a solenoid designed to be constantly energized.

Sources:
http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts/home.php?cat=207
http://www.tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=isolator

Be advised that this can be a very complex issue with several alternatives.

Constant Duty Solenoid (original classic Winnebago installation):  Used with MOM switch.
NORM - Batteries separated (no voltage to solinoid relay coil).
DUAL - Connects both batteries (chassis start/house) together when ignition key is in ON position.  Used to charge house battery with engine alternator
MOM (spring return) - Allows voltage/current from house battery to be used to start the engine.

Isolator Solenoid - smart isolator that only connects batteries together once alternator has charged start battery to 13.5 volts.  Because engine starting drops voltage below 13.5, this relay type does not support the MOM position.

Electronic Isolator (basic versions) - Allows battery charging (no MOM switch support).  Unfortunately, the voltage drop across the diodes typically do not allow a full charge to be applied to the house battery.

Smart battery isolators/regulators - Computer controlled.  Not unusual to be a 3 stage charge version using the alternator.  No MOM swtich support.

There is a world of options out there.
Here is a typical hookup for a constant duty solenoid version on a Winnebago with a Dodge chassis.  The solenoid is at the bottom right of the drawing.

Dave

[move][/move]

GulfCoastFighter0

1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

Froggy1936

Another place for these relays and a lot of stuff  jamestowndistributors.com  relays priced from $26.00 to $60.00  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

George-47

Thanks for this information...It helps me greatly to not only read the description but to also see the wiring diagram...That was the best drawing I've seen in a while...very good..
George

DaveVA78Chieftain

George,
In principle the diagram is good however it is based on a 70's era Dodge motorhome chassis setup.
Your 80's era GM P30 with a 454 will be somewhat different for ignition, starting and charging circuitry.

Dave
[move][/move]

khantroll

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to one of the new isolators? If so, is this an example of the smart variety: http://tweetys.com/blue-sea-7611-batterylink-automatic-charging-relay---12v-24v-dc-120a.aspx ?

DaveVA78Chieftain

The Intellitec 00-01000-000 Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay ( BIRD ) GAS controller has been available for a very long time. 

It controls a standard 100 amp constant duty relay. Bi-directional means the alternator is automatically used to charge the engine and house batteries and the converter is used to automatically charge the engine and house batteries.

Manual

Ultimate DC system with all sorts of goodies:  :)
[move][/move]

Mikey3air

ᎢᎻᎪNᏦ🙏Ꭹou Dave for such an informative article. We have been fighting our 1983 Winnebago Brave mainly because I know little about auto electrics and we have zero informatioΠ 🚪 + 🪟  available. Winnebago has been (⁰/₀)🔬to shed💡 on our situation and although I did connect to a man who had manuals and such, the 1983 was not covered by his available information. (👁¡•) right help for I (us) has been confused as all get-out regarding our little 22' brave & things did not go as well as planned after kangaroo🐀 (which are not supposed to even be in our area) decided to move in with us. So far just in the last week we have gotten a baker's dozen and though they are actually kinda cute, they reek havoc with us...we have been throwing 💰 at the problem without any reference other than the P30 Chevy truck model pdf I found & it is missing a few things found easily too. ☝️✌️🤟almost 3 years living in our broken Brave, we've learned much in survival: using an oven for heat since the furnace did not work; ice chests because though there were refrigerator doors, only shelves were behind...it has been a wild ride. My wife & i are both disabled & got booted out of our rental house in the ✌️Nd wave of California Card Fire 🔥 = GREEDY landlord. In desperation we thought we'd visit kids & found a great deal on this little Brave...however, on the way to get smog, blew out a rear wheel brake cylinder @ one of the busiest intersections of town headiπ9 iΠᎿ0 α 🛑💡(•!•)❗️ᎢᎻᎪᎢ was the beginming of our tale into Oz(。Ꭵ 。)🤪🌎👀. IT has been a wild trip in a metal tent, homeless yet not...life is...ᎢᎻᎪΠᏦ🙏Ꭹou 🙄 each day is a lesson in gratitude & gratefulness for we have learn trial by 🔥 & ⚖️ to earn 🗽for our freedom= Sum if all experience yet so much left to learn "Ꮭ🦻Π" to open doors ✌️☮️💠Inside. I create 🖼 using 📲#7 :-) as it is the only thing available with hotspot so 💸 costly.
Sorry, I get carried away 🗣since I am alone a lot of the 🕖. Anyway, your post is the ☝️ ᎡᎬᎪᏞ ⛑ Ꭾotential to get us unstuck & moving a+gain! Hope i can figure it out cuz our battery box is highly confusing & the solar panel controller from Walmart (China) say "fu" literally & figuratively with instructions p👀rly translate. ᎳᎬ can use all the help we can get. I am quite exhausted 😴 with 🐀 🤫UN =Σδ fUN 0Γ as our controller say fu=N0πε. But we keep our sense of humor 😄😁😆 traveling with our ✌️😇s, Drakko 🐈‍⬛ & Bubba 🦨 (Marlene adopted him cuz he was homeless t👀). ᎢᎻᎪΠᏦ🙏ᎩᎾᏌ for listening ;-) 🖖 (live long & prosper [trekkies] 0Γ ᏀᎤ with ᏩᏯ {Mr Spock saw the symbol in a synagogue as a young man} :-)
ââ,¬Å"Cede Nulliusââ,¬Â (Latin: ââ,¬Å"Surrender to Noneââ,¬Â)
Believe you have no limits & limitation ceases to exist. We are all creators when necessity forces us to create. So just create! Donââ,¬â,,¢t wait for a necessity to occurââ,¬Â¦imagine it into existence!