Remove Gasoline Odor in Carpet?

Started by HandyDan, April 14, 2016, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

I went in my Suburban to the gas station with a couple of gas containers to put in the motorhome.  On the way back a motorcycle stopped suddenly and caused me to apply the brakes extremely hard.  The gas containers slid forward and one overturned.  In spite of all the mandated safety features on the spout, gas poured out on the carpet.  It now reeks with gasoline smell.  I have tried drying it out, pulling the floor mats (which took most of the hit) and leaving a fan blow on the carpet.  So far it still smells.  Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the odor?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

joanfenn

a match comes to mind............... N:(

or there is some thing called Gas Off.  You can get it at walmart.

(now I can't get Beano out of my mind) :-[

HandyDan

I went to two Walmarts looking for Gas Off.  Neither had it.  Online it is out of stock.  I tried O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, and Napa.  Struck out there, too.  The internet said Home Depot had it, but no such luck.  That is why I am seeking some other means of getting rid of the odor.  I've heard coffee grounds, kitty litter, baking soda, and Fabreze.  Somebody on the internet suggested pouring alcohol on it.  That just seems like a big waste of Vodka to me.  Since the weather has been pretty dry around here, I have just left the windows open and hope it finally evaporates and then I'll try shampooing the carpet.  If you have any better ideas, I'm open to suggestions.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

joanfenn

you are reading the same hints I am.  did you try the banking soda?

Oz

Luckily, gas evaporates and doesn't have mass, say like... doggie poo.  So, the odor won't last if the RV is given time to air out.  Using a baking soda/water paste will work to clean the material the gas spilled on.  Then, let your windows/door open as you can, as long as you can.  No no need to beat your brain trying to track down miracle mixes.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca