Oft Repeated RV Handling Complaints

Started by stopngo, March 08, 2016, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopngo

If there is one problem I have never had was a complaint about the way my Starship Winnebago Elandan 31 Rt  Handles in,you name the condition,
and I will go further to say that even with sagging worn out coil springs and totally flat Air Bags I love driving it and could drive it all day long
without getting tired and I have never experienced the much talked about wandering or tail wagging of the back end.

The only reason I am getting new springs ........new tires and a wheel alignment is because my tires were wearing on the inside and my biggest fear now is that if I get the wrong alignment shop that I will wish I had left it all alone.

I am not necessarily referring to this forum re the above but in general from all the Rv sites out there.

So I would be interested to hear how Y'all feel about the handling of your particular rig.

Tip from me..........I never use the main 60 gal gas tank that is behind the rear axle..........the 30 gallon auxiliary half way between the axles takes me 240 miles and by that time its time for a stretch anyway. Maybe that's why my tail end stays put.

Yup......I love to drive my Winnie

MotorPro

Mine handles better with 60 gals in the rear tank and a full water tank.

stopngo

Interesting. I thought there was enough weight behind the axle with that 11 ft overhang with Gen Set ant Water tank in the rear

87Itasca

My 37' with the tag does OK, except when it's windy. Then I get more lane drifting than I would like. No play in my bell cranks, so I let them be. New Bilstein stabilizer though. Front end is tight, and tires are new. Shocks are my next plan, and I'll see after that. Ultimately, it's a 16,000 pound brick going down the road. Shocks are only going to do so much. No tail wag though. :D

87Itasca

I'm just starting to adjust to driving it (got in Jan., first RV), so anything over 15-20 MPH I guess. It's just a lot to get used to. I think new shocks are going to help a lot. Replacing the air bags up front helped immensely.

bluebird

Both of my Damons handle great, and my Daybreak is better yet but it has 216 in wheel base. It doesn't turn as short as my Challenger did but it rides much better, and I don't have the new shocks on it yet. I haven't driven it with the new tires yet either. But the wind don't seem to bother it much. The day I brought it home it was pretty windy, and we had a S10 on a 18 ft steel trailer. We started out only running 60, then kicked it up to 65 after a few miles. By the time we got within 150 miles from home I had it running 75, smooth as silk. My buddy has a 96 Storm and his is all over the road on windy days, he went with to pick mine up. He couldn't believe the wind didn't bother us even when the big trucks were passing us up by Chicago. Some of them fools were running at least 75 in a 55, I was running 60, and they were passing me like I was standing still. 

dickcarl

Gotta say my 32' Itasca from 1988 rides like a dream.  Have owned multiple MH and other rigs.  Does a little bit of wandering, but I've got about 250 square feet of sail out on the side for the wind to push on.

Stopping, now that's another matter.  I think brakes/drums/shoes or whatever is next.  Only had it about six months, only driven about 1200 miles.

I've also got a rag-tag group of older tires on her.  Next time I've got an extra couple of thousand dollars, that would be nice.
Mechanically challenged but willing to break, cross-thread or totally bugger up nearly ANY expensive component in the guise of repair.

BrianB

Quote from: dickcarl on March 12, 2016, 09:43 PMNext time I've got an extra couple of thousand dollars, that would be nice.

Samson tires 8R19.5 replacements are only $110 each, and several members here say they are great tires.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.