Generator cabinet noise and heat insulation suggestions?

Started by cs641, March 01, 2016, 03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cs641

I have an Onan 2cyl gasoline generator in a mid 70's MH. Some sort of large rodent decided he'd rip up all the insulation for me so before I can safely run it again I'd like to redo everything in there to make it safe...Which probably involves removing the engine.

My main goal is to block as much noise as possible. What have you guys been using, Dynamat? I would also like to keep heat from leaching out of the cabinet as well.

Many thanks.

Rickf1985

Dynamat would probably do a fair job but I think the open cell structure of the fluffy stuff absorbs sound better. Maybe Dynamat first layer and then like a hood blanket material or a jute felt for under carpet in a car for the second layer.

Make sure the large rodent did not put all of that material inside the engine cowling, I will bet a lot of money they did and it will overheat very quickly!

cs641

Thanks! Turns out it was a chipmunk, and we scared him off....for good I hope.

Jonbbrew

Still looking for the right material to replace my old original fuel and oil soaked (so it appears) insulation. So am i safe to assume through modern technology that the thickness is not a concern anymore as it appears R-Value, sound dampening, and heat resistance is excellent even with thinner material?

Now to find what product(s) to use. ????
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

jeno

I'm interested to find out what you use I been thinking of redoing mine also.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]