timing ignition 454 tbi 1995

Started by coltronicola, January 23, 2016, 01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coltronicola

Hi boy, i have a problem, today i check the degrees timing ignition at my RV but i don't find the label with the information new the radiator, how many degrees is it? thank you!!!

BrianB

I'm not sure what year, but sometime in the 90's the engines went to computer controlled timing, with individual coil packs for each cylinder. If you have that, then you don't set the timing at all. My 99 6.0L truck was like that.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

kennyrodgers

I'm pretty sure base timing is 4 degrees btdc.
There's a tan and black wire near the distributor that you have to disconnect first.

J.F.D.I

M & J

M & J

demon

i just did mine but my memory sucks!!  you have to pull a wire off before you do it and you hook your timing light on # 3 i believe and you look from underneath. there is a second timing mark there cause its impossible to see the one on top

coltronicola

ok, thank you, where is the black wire to disconnect? tahnkyou

kennyrodgers

Just checking on the 0 vs 4 degrees thing for my benefit as I also have it to do.
Can I ask you to take a quick look at this PDF, it states 4°for the 454.
Thanks in advance.
http://westersgarage.eidnet.ca/Set%20Timing%20Instructions.pdf

Whilst we're here....
Can you guys point us in the location of the breakout wire on a P30 chassis. I've been for a look today and couldn't find it.
Thanks again.
J.F.D.I

Rickf1985

Going from what you posted it says -4 degrees for the 454. BUT, read the emissions label under the hood, this is where you need to get any and all information pertaining to the engine in THAT vehicle. As far as where the timing set wire is, it pretty much tells you in that link, just look around that area for that tan and black wire. It will be a single wire with a disconnect on it. And by the way, I am pretty sure it s number 5 plug wire for the timing but if that does not work just try different wires until you find one that puts the light on the timing tab. It is either going to be on the tab or nowhere even close so if it is on the tab then you are good to go.

M & J

You are correct. Sorry about that.
M & J

bluebird

My 95 Challenger timing was 4 BTDC  using the bottom mark with the #5 plug. You do need a scan tool so you can see what the ecm sees. My Mac scan tool does provide live data on OBD1 systems. I know a lot of guys trys to run more timing and go to a higher octane fuel to get better performance. My coach ran just fine with the factory tune. My Daybreak runs just fine also but it is a Vortech mpfi engine. I'll look and see what the timing specs are for it tomorrow.

coltronicola

Hi guys, this is the wire to disconnect, the plug wire is the number 5, thank you very much from Italy...

kennyrodgers

Thanks for the picture, very helpful.
:)ThmbUp
J.F.D.I

Cayveman

A year later and the pic helped me too!  Thank you!!! :)clap